Conversion from Meedio guide? (1 Viewer)

Hesse

Portal Pro
August 8, 2006
Hello all, I'm new to the MP scene and just started playing with it seriously. I've tried it in the past with 0.1 versions and couldn't get it to work, but the latest 0.2 version looks very polished and many things I like.

I currently use Meedio as my production HTPC software and am considering moving to Media Portal because of some of the nice things I see and the active community base. I'd like to be able to recreate a similar setup to the one I have in Meedio now (and hopefully more!).

I know there have been some Meedio users that have switched to MP before me and I've seen snippets of questions/answers, but has anyone written a FAQ or guide for this process? It sure would help smooth out the process.

It seems that I can't do a few things that I did in Meedio that other people have posted about and some not.

1) Databases are essential. Every Meedio conversion thread I read said this and its true. One issue I'm running into is that I had a couple of different video databases, one for movies and one for homemovies. Then two separate modules to view. They each had their own separate views/filters. I don't see a way to do this in MP now.

2) Extreme movie manager importer. I keep all of my movie/homemovie information in a couple of XMM databases and in Meedio there was an importer to take in all of the data and ability to view it in a module. I found the myDVD plugin, but it requires me to export a CSV file and it doesn't import all of the information. When I clicked on a movie, it doesn't play because the filelocation is not imported either. This is also tied to (1).

3) Music tag reader. The current tag reader doesn't work for me on my APE files. I have my music tagged so that I can do many flexible views as recommened in one of the Meedio sticky posts. It may be possible to recreate those views with the MP3 tag reader if it can read all of the tags in the file, but for sure the APE tags are not being read. I saw a post about a new tag reader but I understand it is a WIP now.

4) Database viewer/editor. Is there a built-in database viewer/editor? I couldn't find it if there is? How can I view what is inside of the database to make changes. It looks like they're in SQL, so I guess I could look for a SQL DB editor, but it seems like this should be a feature of MP or maybe I just can't find it...

Any status updates, help or links that people can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Jesse

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
3) The new music tag reader should read APE tags fine when its released. Try using the standalone test here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=17016

But seriously, APE is a shitty format :) It takes forever to search inside a song and is crappy as an everyday music codec(although it does offer the best compression). Try using Flac, it uses standard tags, has quick in-song searching and is open source.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    You asked about documentation:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/

From this web page you can select the FAQ, Troubleshooting, Tips & Tricks, etc. At the bottom of this page you will see a Get Involved section.

PLEASE note, the documentation (as is the actual program) is a work under progress and we need addition help in the documentation area. If it appears something is not correct in the documentation and you know how to correct the documentation, then register so you can edit it and help out. This is a community project and the more people helping the better of a project it will be.

Mike

Hesse

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2006
    zag2me said:
    3) The new music tag reader should read APE tags fine when its released. Try using the standalone test here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=17016

But seriously, APE is a shitty format :) It takes forever to search inside a song and is crappy as an everyday music codec(although it does offer the best compression). Try using Flac, it uses standard tags, has quick in-song searching and is open source.

Yeah, I looked at both Flac and Ape when I started encoding my CDs. It seemed APE gave much better compression, that is why I chose it. What you mean search inside a song. Like seeking? I may go back an evaluate Flac again.

_man_

Portal Member
    June 20, 2005
    Paris
    Hello Hesse,

I'm in the same situation than you, digging MP in view to switch from Meedio.

Hesse said:
    zag2me said:
    (...) But seriously, APE is a shitty format :) It takes forever to search inside a song and is crappy as an everyday music codec(although it does offer the best compression). Try using Flac, it uses standard tags, has quick in-song searching and is open source.

Yeah, I looked at both Flac and Ape when I started encoding my CDs. It seemed APE gave much better compression, that is why I chose it. What you mean search inside a song. Like seeking? I may go back an evaluate Flac again.

I also used Monkey's audio as my codec of choice for some years. I agree that seeking is quite slow, and I moved to WavPack which is a lot better in this matter and good compression ratios compared to FLAC. However FLAC and Monkey remains more popular so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom