Converting h264 to DVD (1 Viewer)

Spider24

Portal Member
January 7, 2012
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Wanting to get a few files off the HDD and give others to a friend. Here in New Zealand, we've got Mpeg-4 (h264 and AC3/AAC). Mediaportal is using The Arcsoft video decoder for h264, Hauppauge MPEG Layer-1/2 Audio Decoder and Monogram AAC decoder. With Ashampoo Burning Studio 10, I get the video, but no sound. Anyone got this combo working, or is there another way of doing it? I tried a couple of conversion programs a year or so ago, but the video/audio wasn't synronized correctly, or the video was jerky, or there was a "zigzag" thing going on with the video when you got a bit of movement going.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    Do you really need to convert your "nice" HD videos to "ugly" SD- DVD? Normally mkv fits on DVD-R(9) without the loss of quality... Some standalone players can playback mkv and this number grows daily.

Maybe you can talk your friends into using MP as well ;). Or if this is no possibility what about a Rapsberry Pi (25 US$) with XBMC on it and Video on USB- Stick?

When I really need to, I'm using VSO's ConvertXtoDVD. This did never failed to me...

Spider24

Portal Member
    January 7, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I get .TS files, not MKV. I downloaded Freemake Video Converter, tried converting the file I want to give to a friend to DVD format and also MPG, it took AGES, and screwed up the video. Audio was ok and normal speed, the video was at half speed or so, no syncing at all...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I get .TS files, not MKV...
    Ok, rough uncut HDTV recordings... So first it's better to cut them as they never start where the movie starts. Same for End and the whole commercials can also be cut off... Best program so far here is VideoReDo, It's not free but the only program that cuts h264 (HDTV Recordings usually coded with h264) frame accurate. After this you got .ts or .mp4 or (best) mkv files with appr. 1/2 to 3/4 the size of original .ts.. This took some minutes (mostly how long you need to cut, rest is 1 or 2 minutes only)

I downloaded Freemake Video Converter, tried converting the file I want to give to a friend to DVD format and also MPG, it took AGES, and screwed up the video. Audio was ok and normal speed, the video was at half speed or so, no syncing at all...
    Try FVC after cutting your recordings. Normally .ts Files directly grabbed from Air had lots of errors in. This is normal and one can't do anything against it. After Cut the errors are mostly gone so FVC can handle the files much better...

Converting HD Video to DVD always took AGES, You can use an Intel i7 if you like, but still some hours necessary.

If you don't want to cut or not able to do so you still can convert your .ts to .mkv with mkvtoolnix (it's free). This takes about 1 or 2 minutes only. Then try again with FVC. Normally the .mkv are lot easier to handle for all kind of programs.

Spider24

Portal Member
    January 7, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I get .TS files, not MKV...
    Ok, rough uncut HDTV recordings... So first it's better to cut them as they never start where the movie starts. Same for End and the whole commercials can also be cut off... Best program so far here is VideoReDo, It's not free but the only program that cuts h264 (HDTV Recordings usually coded with h264) frame accurate. After this you got .ts or .mp4 or (best) mkv files with appr. 1/2 to 3/4 the size of original .ts.. This took some minutes (mostly how long you need to cut, rest is 1 or 2 minutes only)

I use Smart Cutter, it hasn't screwed up the syncing for me yet...

I downloaded Freemake Video Converter, tried converting the file I want to give to a friend to DVD format and also MPG, it took AGES, and screwed up the video. Audio was ok and normal speed, the video was at half speed or so, no syncing at all...
    Try FVC after cutting your recordings. Normally .ts Files directly grabbed from Air had lots of errors in. This is normal and one can't do anything against it. After Cut the errors are mostly gone so FVC can handle the files much better...

Converting HD Video to DVD always took AGES, You can use an Intel i7 if you like, but still some hours necessary.

If you don't want to cut or not able to do so you still can convert your .ts to .mkv with mkvtoolnix (it's free). This takes about 1 or 2 minutes only. Then try again with FVC. Normally the .mkv are lot easier to handle for all kind of programs.

I'll give that a go...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mkvtoolnix
    mkvmerge (can use to cut mkv file, if you know the time of when you want to split the file, doesn't do frame accurate cuts, so you can end up with extra 0.5-1.5 sec on each side)
    handbreak

all free

Last edited:

Spider24

Portal Member
    January 7, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tried mkvmerge, keeps crapping out, coming up with "Error: memory.cpp/safememdup() called from file src/output/p_aac.cpp, line 76: malloc() returned nullptr for a size of 4294967288 bytes." and stops. Seems to crap out at the same size (give or take a few bytes)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Ok, looks as if your .ts files are heavy damaged. Your recording- chain seems to be not the best thinkable...
    In such case you have to try lots of .ts repair tools until you find one, that repairs this .ts. You best start with ts-doctor, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom