Copy Protection on UK Channel/Film4? (1 Viewer)

hbryce

Portal Member
January 31, 2009
Gloucester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1 (Classic TV engine)
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: XP Home SP3
CPU Type: Intel Atom330
HDD: 160GB Western Digital
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Shuttle X27D
Video Card: Integrated using DVI o/p
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Win TV Nova-T USB2
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV (default)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA (default)
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Freeview DVB-T (UK)
HTPC Case: Shuttle X27D
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Hauppauge 45 button
TV: Sony 32V4000
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI to HDMI(TV)

I have had no problems recording TV on my "mini-HTPC" until last weekend when two films on Channel 4 and Film 4 failed to record properly. The full duration of the film was there with the audio, but the video "froze" on an odd murky picture after the initial title & credits in both cases. Over the same weekend I had no difficulty recording films from ITV and one other Channel 4 film recorded OK.

I wonder if this problem was due to copy protection by Channel /Film4 on some of their films? If so does anybody have the same problem and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

surfermc

Portal Pro
May 7, 2006
Dorset
Home Country
England England
I regularly record films on both Channel 4 and Film 4 and have not experienced the problem you are having. What were the films that you tried to record. It might be useful to know the specifics.

hbryce

Portal Member
January 31, 2009
Gloucester
Home Country
Thanks for quick response;
Films were 4May Ch4 10.55am Ladyhawke
30 Apr Film4 21.00pm Charlotte Gray

surfermc

Portal Pro
May 7, 2006
Dorset
Home Country
England England
I recorded Charlotte Gray and had no problems when we came to watch it. Unfortunately it has now been deleted.
Maybe there is something up with you system.

If you want we can trial a few films over the next few day and see if your problem repeats or can be replicated. We could try The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen tonight at 9:00

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Films were 4May Ch4 10.55am Ladyhawke

I recorded that :), problem sounds more like the power was dropped on that mux, had a week of low signal on the BBC mux, the website that shows transmitter work being done had nothing relating to Winter Hill :confused:.

See if it clears up after a couple of days, or check the signal level shown in the tv log for those channels against other working ones.

hbryce

Portal Member
    January 31, 2009
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    Thanks to both Surfermc and Paranoid. I'll try and record extraordinary gentlemen.

One thought that does occur to me - perhaps the remote controls for other equipment, e.g. the TV, are corrupting either Media Portal or the DVB-T Rx.

I am on Ridge Hill Tx.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    hbryce

Should of mentioned earlier, just noticed you are on the internal TVEngine, we are currently doing some installation testing and making sure the old TVEngine was fixed before 1.0.2 released.

The first thing I noticed using the old TVEngine (have not used since TVServer came into existance and it is being completely removed after the upcoming release any how, as there is just no future for dvr-ms), that It showed weaker reception signal when tuning, also only tuned 54 stations against tvserver's 59, and showed some pixelation on stations where previously I had seen none.

Really might be time to take the plunge with TVServer :)

hbryce

Portal Member
    January 31, 2009
    Gloucester
    Home Country
    In the event I recorded "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" last night and all appears well. Perhaps as Paranoid suggests I had a glitch on the transmission or on my system. The next big test, with significant domestic importance, is the omnibus of Coronation Street tomorrow - I shall adopt a belt and braces approach with a DVD recorder in the name of domestic harmony!

With regard to using the TV server, I did try that previously but did not get it to work - I thought at the time that my system was not powerful enough. Perhaps it was just my finger-trouble.

Thanks again to both of you.

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    I had no problems with my recording of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Good idea to keep on the right side of SWMBO.

Like PD I have never looked back since moving to TV Server. If you do go down this route also take a look at 4therecord. It provides extra scheduling functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom