CoreAAC and AC3Filter (1 Viewer)

Eddy5

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
England England
I want to play some 6 channel audio movie HDMOV files (H.264) using AC3 filter in MP.
In Media Player Classic they play as I want. (Dolby Digital)
Looking at graphedit the audio comes from the file as
"AAC Decoder" -> "AC3 Filter" -> SPDIF
:D
When playing in MP the sound goes out as
"CoreAAC Decoder" -> SPDIF
:confused:
which is not what I want as it only outputs as Dolby ProLogic.
Anybody got any advice on how to make MP work the same as Media Player Classic?

Eddy5

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
England England
Well after some playing I know have MP doing the following
CoreAAC --> SPDIF

How can I get MP to use the AC3 Filter?

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received as this one has me very confused.

Rikl64

Portal Member
June 25, 2007
Home Country
Wales Wales
put Ac3filter into the movie post processing list. This will then use CoreACC & AC3fillter if the combination of DS filters is valid.

Eddy5

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
England England
Thanks for the reply. I've done that and AC3Filter appears but isn't connected. Any ideas?

gdb66

Portal Member
March 16, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I had the exact same problem you describe.

I fixed it by un-registering the CoreAAC filter and also the MPA filter which comes standard with MediaPortal.
I had installed FFDShow as part of the CCCP codec pack to display DivX and XViD movies. Now in the FFDShow Audio decoder I disabled both AC3 and DTS, but AAC I left on. Also I set the resampling option to 48Khz (always). Some .mov files need this.

This way only AAC decoding is done by FFDShow, as there is no other codec on you system, capable of handling AAC.

Eddy5

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
England England
Hi, that's great, I can now use the FFDshow filters, but AC3Filter is still not being used in MP.
In MediaPlayer Classic I get
ffdshow Audio Decoder -> AC3Filter -> M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF
In Media Portal I get
ffdshow Audio Decoder -> M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF
:(

gdb66

Portal Member
March 16, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Isn't this what you wanted, to play AAC audio directly from MP?
Please explain what doesn't work in MP when you get "ffdshow Audio Decoder -> M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF"

Eddy5

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
England England
Ah, sorry.
Without the AC3Filter my audio decoder is only receiving the left and right channels.
With the AC3 filter it receives all 6 channels as Dolby Digital, that is what I am really trying to fix.
My assumption is that because AC3 filter is not being used, then I am not getting all 6 channels sent out.

Rikl64

Portal Member
June 25, 2007
Home Country
Wales Wales
Yes you will need to use AC3filter to get 6 channels as Dolby Digital over SPDIF. My YSP-900 lights up the Dolby symbol rather than PCM as the input when using AC3filter.

You will need to build the graph in graphedit for the file that you are trying to playback with both the FFdShow and AC3filter to ensure that these are installed correctly on your system.

As for my setup: for liveTV I just use AC3filter directly. For ripped H264 Movie playback with AAC audio then I use ffdShow audio (movie player audio codec) and AC3filter (post processing) combined. I am using AC3Filter version 1.45b.

If you just see AC3filter in the remote graphedit for MP (unconnected) then there is an incompatibility between ffdShow output and the AC3filter input. You may need to either adjust your ffdShow output settings to make the AC3 filter join up. I had this problem; however, re-installing the AC3filter made it work.

The easiest way is to make AC3filter have a tray icon and run MP in a window and then run MP and view your AC3filter settings from the tray. You will see the inputs and output bars in AC3 if this is working correctly. You may need to minimise MP to be able to make any AC3filter adjustments on the fly.

Good luck.

gdb66

Portal Member
March 16, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
The easiest way is to make AC3filter have a tray icon and run MP in a window and then run MP and view your AC3filter settings from the tray.

How exactly do you make AC3filter have a tray icon? I also run version 1.45b but could not find that option. This is indeed great for debugging! Please tell me how to activate this.

Back to the topic.
Since FFDShow is doing the AAC decoding it is likely you will see the input of AC3 as already being 2 channel. Check the following FFDShow audio settings:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom