Correct Power settings for a Gaming/HTPC? (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
How do I set either MP's or XP/Win7's power settings correctly?

If I use MP's Powerscheduler, it shuts the PC off when I'm in the middle of a game (and I don't want to add all my games to the exceptions list) and if I disable that and set XP/Win7's power settings to say 90mins, it never shuts down, I presume because it sees MP running and thinks I'm using the PC.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

If I use MP's Powerscheduler, it shuts the PC off when I'm in the middle of a game (and I don't want to add all my games to the exceptions list) and if I disable that and set XP/Win7's power settings to say 90mins, it never shuts down, I presume because it sees MP running and thinks I'm using the PC.

I have disabled Windows own power management and use ps++ with the option to only allow sleep when on home screen set (this one you can find in stock ps as well), and to only allow sleep when MP is running. With these settings, if you either start your games from, say, within 'My Emulators' or shut down MP and then start the game your computer will stay awake. When you finished playing and restart MP / return to home screen the machine will once again be able to fall asleep.

//Johannes

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Thanks. That sounds like it should do the trick.

Will it work if I go to Home - Shutdown - Close (which I've set to minimise MP to the tray) or will it then still decide MP is running and on the Home screen and go into standby? That's the way I've been playing games so far, but I really should launch them from My Emulators instead, it just takes a bit of setting up.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,

Will it work if I go to Home - Shutdown - Close (which I've set to minimise MP to the tray) or will it then still decide MP is running and on the Home screen and go into standby?

I just did a quick test. If I minimise from home screen the system is suspended while if minimised from, say, the EPG the system stays up. In other words, the behaviour is the same whether minimised or not.

//Johannes

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Thanks, saves me testing and working this out for myself.

How do you minimise from anywhere other than the Home screen (using Shutdown - Close) though? Do you just Alt-tab to the desktop?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Otherwise PS++ can interact nicely with windows power management. You can leave the idle detection to windows and ps++ will disallow sleeping when it has things to do. That is the recommended setup for ps++, but the just on home screen setting works as well.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Otherwise PS++ can interact nicely with windows power management. You can leave the idle detection to windows and ps++ will disallow sleeping when it has things to do. That is the recommended setup for ps++, but the just on home screen setting works as well.

I think that's what didn't work for me though. If I unticked "Powerscheduler++ forces system to go to standby when idle" and set Windows power settings to go to standby after x minutes, it never went to standby

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom