CPU for recording 12 channels + extra (1 Viewer)

FMGenie

Portal Member
February 2, 2014
Home Country
Finland Finland
Hi!

Posted same kind of message to other area but this concerns just CPU.

I need to
  1. watch one and record 12 SD channels simultaneously from four muxes; or
  2. record 12 SD channels and watch x.264 encoded movie; or
  3. encode SD recordings to NAS.
What kind of CPU is adequate for this job?

Thank you! :D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

If the channels are free (not encrypted) then the CPU doesn't have to be high end to record 12 channels simultaneously. You should be more concerned about your timeshift/record HDD.
    If you have a GPU that supports DXVA and the movie is encoded to support DXVA then the CPU doesn't have to be high end.
    If you are re-encoding (ie. not just copying/moving) the recordings before moving them to the NAS then the faster the CPU, the faster the re-encode process goes.

mm

Teeo

Portal Member
    September 28, 2009
    Helsingborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hello!

My experience is that i have eight DVB-S2 tuners and done HD channels recordning on all of them (not sure if the channels where all on different transponders). On my TV-server I have a quad core(+ hyperthreading) xeon e3-1230 running @ 3.3GHz. I get about 40% of cpu usage.
    If you want to do some transcoding to, then I would think a faster cpu will be required (unless a gpu can unload the cpu then maby cpu will be adequate)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Intel 1.6 GHz single core (but HT) atom cpu, 2 GB ram.

2 USB DVB-T tuners.
    3 HD channels (not encrypted)
    4 SD channels (not encrypted)

test.png

FMGenie

Portal Member
    February 2, 2014
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    My experience is that i have eight DVB-S2 tuners and done HD channels recordning on all of them (not sure if the channels where all on different transponders). On my TV-server I have a quad core(+ hyperthreading) xeon e3-1230 running @ 3.3GHz. I get about 40% of cpu usage.
    Intel 1.6 GHz single core (but HT) atom cpu, 2 GB ram.

2 USB DVB-T tuners.
    3 HD channels (not encrypted)
    4 SD channels (not encrypted)

View attachment 144872

:whistle:(y)

I really don't need a big cpu! :)

If I encode a tv show, can I automatically name it for example CSI_3-2-14.mp4 or something like that?[DOUBLEPOST=1391454778][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hello

If the channels are free (not encrypted) then the CPU doesn't have to be high end to record 12 channels simultaneously. You should be more concerned about your timeshift/record HDD.
    If you have a GPU that supports DXVA and the movie is encoded to support DXVA then the CPU doesn't have to be high end.
    If you are re-encoding (ie. not just copying/moving) the recordings before moving them to the NAS then the faster the CPU, the faster the re-encode process goes.

mm

Could you give me some examples how long with certain CPU will take TV show re-encoding to 1/3 of size (1 hour show 1.5 GB to 1 hour 500 MB, around 1200 kbps bitrate)?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Could you give me some examples how long with certain CPU will take TV show re-encoding to 1/3 of size (1 hour show 1.5 GB to 1 hour 500 MB, around 1200 kbps bitrate)?
    Sorry, I don't re-encode my recordings... but I'm sure somebody else will be able to comment. :)

FMGenie

Portal Member
    February 2, 2014
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    How much CPU power do I need to stream TS or 720p mp4 to iPad while watching TS or 720p mp4 with MediaPortal. I'd use iPimp or MPExtended. Anyone doing this? Please help.[DOUBLEPOST=1391715396][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe CPU is irrelevant as there is Airvideo.. Right? :whistle:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom