CPU usage increases as a function of time (1 Viewer)

jonesdb

Portal Pro
January 11, 2008
Santa Clara, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Both types of crashes happend when the second recording starts before the first ends. I haven't seen a crash of these types when the second recording starts after the first ended. (This is quite repeatable for me using the bufferd version of mpFileWriter.ax It may also be repeatable for the non-buffered version, but I haven't done as much testing with that file.)
It seems that some sort of a race condition exists when the ending time of one program is the same as the starting time of another. I haven't seen the problem you describe above when going into the "Active Recordings" dialog box and then leaving. I will check it out

misterd First, thanks for your continued support. I will check out you new mpFileWriter file without the refactoring.
I don't understand why you are calling the M780 card a hybrid. It has two tuner chips (Xceive XC2028 for the analog side and Microtune MT2131 for the digital side) and hardware (NEC uPD61153) MPEG2 encoder. The digital and analog tuners each have seperate inputs. Seems that from a hardware standpoint it is a dual tuner card. I don't know about the software interface standpoint. As an interesting aside, the XC2028 single chip tuner used for the analog side is also capable of digital tuner operation so it seems that it might have actually be possible to easly turn the hardware into a dual digital card, though I don't think the output signal from the XC2028 is available except through the MPEG2 encouder. Too bad. Anyway, I have always been able to operate the analog and digital tuners independently (i.e. one recording digital while the other is used for live viewing of analog) And yes, you are correct that it has not been configured as a hybrid.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If your card could use both parts of the card at the same time than it is a dual tuner card and everything is fine. I just wanted to be sure, because if it is not a dual tuner card and a simple hybrid card than this could cause crashes, when it is not configured as hybrid card in TvServer.

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    misterd: I understand your concern about the dual tuner/ hybrid tuner possibility. Thanks for keeping me honest!
    hassegubben: I can confirm the killing of an on going recording when going into the "Active Recording" dialog box and selecting an active recording. I see from the log file that scheduler took this action as a command to stop the recording of that stream. I don't know what the intended action is supposed to be. I would have expected the MP Client to start showing the video from that stream, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anybody know what was intended for the "Active Recording" dialog?

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    When I added the buffer to MPFileWriter, I also made a refactoring to this filter to make it more easier. It seems that something there is wrong. I couldn't find any error, so I decided to revert the refactoring.

You can find attached the new version of MPFileWriter with the write buffer, but without the refactoring. I wasn't able to produce any crash with this filter.

@jonesdb: You have a hybrid card in you system specs, but I can't see any log lines that are indicating that this card is configured as a hybrid card. Normally you can't use both parts of a hybrid card at the same time.
    Also it is correct that TvServer has chosen the analog card for the second recording as the first one was still recording because of the postrecording value and both channels are not on the same transponder. Therefor couldn't use the digital card.

MisterD

Guess there must have been something in the refactoring. I have been putting the file through a series of tests all afternoon. So far, no problems. I have exercised program1 ending at the same scheduled time as program2 starts for progrmans on the same analog channel, different analog channels, analog to digital channels and digital to analog channels. All of this was done through the scheduler. At this point I would say it looks good. :D
    I will continue to exercise over the weekend as I get the chance. Any plan to include it in the next SVN or some other one down the road? Again :D

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nice to hear, that this version is finally working. :D for testing.

This version is already in SVN, but there are no public SVN builds until RC3 is released.

MisterD

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nice to hear, that this version is finally working. :D for testing.

This version is already in SVN, but there are no public SVN builds until RC3 is released.

MisterD

Hi Misterd,

just installed latest SVN (oct 2nd) and it immediately crashed when using my two tuners of my PVR500. registered your patched mpFileWriter.ax and it works like a charme!
    Thanks for looking into this!
    Ruud.

hassegubben

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Will the exit from active recordings crash be fixed as well?I have not seen any defect report about this issue so far.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The intention of the "Active recordings" button is to show the active recordings and stop the selected one. Gibman added a confirmation dialog on Wednesday, so the last SVN build should have this dialog included.

MisterD

jonesdb

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Santa Clara, CA
    Home Country
    :D MisterD:
    I have been putting your latest mpFileWrite.ax file through the paces since you posted it on 10/3, doing some extensive testing. I have found no problems. :) All the crashes have stopped and the CPU usage on analog channels is now at a reasonable level. Again Thanks! Great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom