Crash During Plugin "Online Videos" (1 Viewer)

DMAJ

Portal Member
May 7, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP Team 1.7.3.3010
Windows Version: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
CPU Type: x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1870 Mhz
HDD: WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 [232.88 GB]
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Motherboard: Shuttle Inc [SD11V10] [Unknown]
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210
Video Card Driver: 6.14.0012.8558 (English)
Sound Card: SB Live! 24-bit
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.0001.0514 (English)
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
HTPC Case: Shuttle Inc [SD11V10]
Cooling: Air
Power Supply: Shuttle Inc
Remote: Microsoft MCE

Hi all I hope someone can help with this problem was not sure if this was a bug or a configuration issue. Anyway here goes.

So I've been running MP for a while now but keep having theses random crashes. For the most part MP will crash sometimes during video playback or just after even when navigating in Online video menu system and I cant quite put my finger on it. I saw an error in my event log that suggested memory issue and have reseated the modules I haven't tired some spare memory yet as i wanted to get opinions of you very clever people.

Other things I have tried is to reinstall MP and reinstall all codecs still the problem persists ;(

Please could someone suggest something I have not tried yet or is this a bug?

Kind regards

Dean

P.S. Please let me know if I need to give you more information log files should be attached.

P.P.S A helpful person called arion_p commented on my thread here. He mentioned my problem could be COM related? (know idea what this means) but he said I would be better off reporting my issue to plugin developers?

Acteo

Portal Pro
August 15, 2005
Echiré, France
Home Country
France France
Re : Crash During Plugin "Online Videos"

Did you test various codecs in Online Videos config ?
May be specifically on .mp4 (as for me on buffering mp4)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately I can't get enough info from the logfiles what error happens :(
    In order to narrow it down you might want to try to find specific videos where a crash can be reproduced? Also, maybe try LAV instead of ffdshow.

DMAJ

Portal Member
    May 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Re: Re : Crash During Plugin "Online Videos"

Hi Acteo

Thank you for your reply..

I have tried as many different video formats as possible for example I just ran trailers from "itunes Movie trailers" (i wanted to test with reliable stream source) this makes no difference as crash happens after exiting video I.E. Started trailer, trailer finished then returned to menu screen then MP crashed there is not pattern to crash from testing I have done to conclude it is video format related sometimes MP will crash after 10 views of video streams other times after 2.

I've tried with ffdshow and also just with MPC (GABEST) still crashes randomly i could understand if it only crashed during playback but I've witnessed it crash just in "Online Videos" menu screens.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get "Online Videos" to produce its on log files?

In order to narrow it down you might want to try to find specific videos where a crash can be reproduced? Also, maybe try LAV instead of ffdshow.

Hi Offbyone

Thanks for your reply..

I thought too that if I could find a video that it crashed in and repeated trying to run this video I could get reproducible scenario to report here or work out the problem myself (I work in software support). Unfortunately as soon as I have got MP to crash and then retrace my steps it wont crash a second or third time in that same order.

Lav? This is something I have not tried i'll research that now and report back...

BTW the first log file I attached here seems more accurate as to cause of crash? ( I notice no one has viewed this file) MediaPortalLogs_27_11_11__04_47.zip

DMAJ

Portal Member
    May 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Re: Re : Crash During Plugin "Online Videos"

Hi Acteo

Thank you for your reply..

I have tried as many different video formats as possible for example I just ran trailers from "itunes Movie trailers" (i wanted to test with reliable stream source) this makes no difference as crash happens after exiting video I.E. Started trailer, trailer finished then returned to menu screen then MP crashed there is not pattern to crash from testing I have done to conclude it is video format related sometimes MP will crash after 10 views of video streams other times after 2.

I've tried with ffdshow and also just with MPC (GABEST) still crashes randomly i could understand if it only crashed during playback but I've witnessed it crash just in "Online Videos" menu screens.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get "Online Videos" to produce its on log files?

Hi Offbyone

Thanks for your reply..

I thought too that if I could find a video that it crashed in and repeated trying to run this video I could get reproducible scenario to report here or work out the problem myself (I work in software support). Unfortunately as soon as I have got MP to crash and then retrace my steps it wont crash a second or third time in that same order.

Lav? This is something I have not tried i'll research that now and report back...

BTW the first log file I attached here seems more accurate as to cause of crash? ( I notice no one has viewed this file) MediaPortalLogs_27_11_11__04_47.zip

Hi Offbyone

Tried LAV still crashed I must have been able to view 10 "itunes Movie trailers" before it crashed new log files attached

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I checked the new logs, but again - they don't show what's the cause of the crash :( All I can offer at this point is a preview build of the upcoming version (which will also have LAV included) so you can try and see if the crash still happens.

DMAJ

Portal Member
    May 7, 2011
    Home Country
    I checked the new logs, but again - they don't show what's the cause of the crash :( All I can offer at this point is a preview build of the upcoming version (which will also have LAV included) so you can try and see if the crash still happens.

Thanks for the offer... Sure I don't mind testing a preview build. In the meantime I have uninstalled ffdshow and any other filter and codec then re-installed LAV. I'm running tests again today.

I'll post any more crashes here.

DMAJ

Portal Member
    May 7, 2011
    Home Country

Thanks for the offer... Sure I don't mind testing a preview build. In the meantime I have uninstalled ffdshow and any other filter and codec then re-installed LAV. I'm running tests again today.

I'll post any more crashes here.

Still Crashing attached new log files... I was wondering if this Microsoft tool may help with diagnostics?

How to use the Userdump.exe tool to create a dump file

DMAJ

Portal Member
    May 7, 2011
    Home Country

I found application event fault...

"Faulting application MediaPortal.exe, version 1.2.1.0, faulting module mscorwks.dll, version 2.0.50727.3625, fault address 0x0027f34e."

At the time of one of my original crashes....

Apparently is know problem with .Net Runtime 2.0

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error, faulting module mscorwks.dll

Fix one is to do the flowing HOTFIX: A .NET Framework 2.0 application that runs under a user account context when no user profile is associated with the user account context may crash, or you may receive an access violation error message

If the above does not work I'll see if .Net upgrade will help not sure what version I am running in the first place sorry for all the post vomit ill report back once I know more.

"Faulting application MediaPortal.exe, version 1.2.1.0, faulting module mscorwks.dll, version 2.0.50727.3625, fault address 0x0027f34e."

Fix one is to do the flowing HOTFIX: A .NET Framework 2.0 application that runs under a user account context when no user profile is associated with the user account context may crash, or you may receive an access violation error message

If the above does not work I'll see if .Net upgrade will help not sure what version I am running in the first place sorry for all the post vomit ill report back once I know more.

Tried running hotfix but got error "Missing program to upgrade..." My quick guess is .net 2.0 or components were not installed in the first place (this was a hand me down system)

Anyway bit the bullet and upgraded to...
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670)
    I'm sure i'll just get new errors :)

DMAJ

Portal Member
    May 7, 2011
    Home Country

Tried running hotfix but got error "Missing program to upgrade..." My quick guess is .net 2.0 or components were not installed in the first place (this was a hand me down system)

Anyway bit the bullet and upgraded to...
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670)
    I'm sure i'll just get new errors :)

Its been a while.... after upgrade to .NET Framework 4 I found that MP ran allot faster (with Steamed MP). But MP still crashed while in "Online Videos" plugin. However I think this was not the fault of "Online Videos" but due to its nature of running lots of short videos it just highlighted MP crash. In an effort to narrow down the problem I have ditched Steamed MP as my theme and now running the default theme (Default Wide). This now seems to have cured the random crashing I was having but it is still early days!! I should point out that my last crash was while in the plugin "Moving Pictures".

For anyone readying this post I would also point out I had tried disabling all plugins apart from "Online Videos" with Steamed MP and yes MP still crashed. Anyway I'll post back here some time after the holidays let you and possible the skin developers know what I got up 2.

Would just like to say a thank you to all that have helped so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom