Crash loading Skin - improper Fonts & Graphics Rendering | Page 2

Discussion in '1.0 final and SVN Builds' started by Dadeo, January 19, 2009.

1. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Fonts are handled as textures in MediaPortal.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joz

joz Portal Pro

J2ME / PHP programmer
    Ratings:
    +154 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I was just thinking about this, would it make any sense to increase the aperture size (for AGP, called differently with PCI-e) to avoid this kinda problem?

of course this is not an ideal solution (and only possible on occasion) but I truly think this should help with the running out of videomemory. And if it does it might deserve some kind of sticky thread.

to be clear I do not have this problem myself, both my pc's run a 512MB graphics card. I can't test this, Hyper memory or turbo cache (the nvidia one, I believe) is not even supported by these 2 cards.

-----EDIT-----

Can I assume that by removing fonts not in use from fonts.xml I can reduce the total memory usage?
    It seem to lower the cache size.

4. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

infinite.loop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    In MP1 they sadly are textures. :(

We got rid of that "limitation" in MP2. :D

5. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

infinite.loop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    just out of curiosity, could you please try ::this:: ?

6. Dadeo
    • Premium Supporter

Dadeo Docs Group Manager

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Show System Specs
    YAHOO! I can hardly wait! Now you're just torturing me!:p

I'm way ahead of you Chris, I already saw that post and tried it. And with it, the skin hasn't crashed yet, but font48 did render improperly once - white lines instead of the large header same as in the screenshot in my first post. I haven't been able to duplicate it since!

It's hard for me to test properly though atm. We already reduced the graphics using pnggauntlet and removed any unused fonts and it hasn't crashed since (that's only a couple of days though). However, I would say that Swedes fix does help. I am working on a version with even larger fonts (don't laugh) and his fix enables me to load it without crashing. But I need to do a lot more testing before making a definitive statement.

I thought I could reinstall our earlier version of Blue3++ where the problem almost always occurred and try Swede's fix on that. It should give more accurate results since it will be a comparison of the same setup where I originally had the problem.

I must confess I am intrigued by it all. It's kinda like peeking under MP's skirts :D So I'll get back to you on what I find.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!