[not reproducible] Crash playing video (1 Viewer)

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi doveman,

Are you using HDMI audio via Intel integrated graphics by any chance?

I saw this issue with such a system and could reproduce it 100% of the time trying to stream certain content from iplayer via online Videos (the show John Bishop is doing ATM caused it so I used this for my tests).

It worked perfectly with reclock removed from the chain but I wasn't happy with that:).

Anyway, after lots of decoder swapping and re-configuring I finally found that if I set reclock to 24-bit padded to 32 and made sure the "16-bit as 16-bit" option was unchecked the problem went away.

I did graph it once I got playback working and it showed audio as the media subtype for AAC while reclock said PCM IEEE Float.

Still pondering exactly what the problem was/is :confused:. Either reclock doesn't like working with this format unless you fix the bit depth or it's happy to work with it but the Intel drivers won't accept it. I would guess maybe the latter and the default renderer fixes the bit depth by default.

I haven't tested to see if any of this applies to either ATI or nVIDIA HDMI audio. I have seen it a couple of times at home but my audio setup there is a bit odd anyway :).

Hope something here might help.

Cheers,

Mick.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi doveman,

Are you using HDMI audio via Intel integrated graphics by any chance?

I saw this issue with such a system and could reproduce it 100% of the time trying to stream certain content from iplayer via online Videos (the show John Bishop is doing ATM caused it so I used this for my tests).

It worked perfectly with reclock removed from the chain but I wasn't happy with that:).

Anyway, after lots of decoder swapping and re-configuring I finally found that if I set reclock to 24-bit padded to 32 and made sure the "16-bit as 16-bit" option was unchecked the problem went away.

I did graph it once I got playback working and it showed audio as the media subtype for AAC while reclock said PCM IEEE Float.

Still pondering exactly what the problem was/is :confused:. Either reclock doesn't like working with this format unless you fix the bit depth or it's happy to work with it but the Intel drivers won't accept it. I would guess maybe the latter and the default renderer fixes the bit depth by default.

I haven't tested to see if any of this applies to either ATI or nVIDIA HDMI audio. I have seen it a couple of times at home but my audio setup there is a bit odd anyway :).

Hope something here might help.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi Mick

I'm not running Intel but ATI 6950, connected to my TV's DVI input.

Nevertheless, your solution may well work for me as well, so I'll certainly give it a go. I'm currently running without Reclock, just to see if that eliminates the problem, but once I've confirmed that I'll go back to using it, and then when the crashes start I'll try your tweak to see if it does the trick.

Cheers for the idea.

OV use filter merit to build graph and ofc it's the right way to do because we didn't know what codec to use before starting streaming.
    Maybe a setting in reclock must be change, i have see PB with reclock too and i experienced a better cleanup of removing from graph after stop playing video but in your case it happen just when starting, i will try to make core.dll to see if it solve this issue.
    But please try to find a way to reproduce it 100% easily lol.

Cheers. I'll try and find a way to reliably reproduce the problem, but it just seems to happen when it feels like it at the moment :mad:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Well it didn't take me long to crash MP this time ;)

I first tried playing the latest episode of Dr Who at 1280x720, which worked fine. Then I tried The Secret World of Whitehall, which played OK but had a nasty flicker I've never seen before, although that could have been a fault at the BBC of course. Then I tried Dr Who again, this time at 832x468 and it crashed, with the error box referring to Reclock.dll.

So now I'll try with Default DirectSound Device instead of Reclock.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Well I don't seem to be able to get it to crash using the DirectSound Device, so now I'll go back to Reclock and try Wo0zy's tweak.

By the way, I should have mentioned when replying to Wo0zy that I use a 6950 DVI output for video but the onboard Realtek ALC662 analog audio.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Sadly it's crashing again with Reclock, even with the tweak.

I guess it could be something to do with the fact that my TV only supports 60hz, but then Reclock is clever enough to know that it can't sync 25fps material to my TV and says it's just adjusting the rate very slightly. Anyway, I think the previous crashes I had with the game trailers (from IGN I think) were with 29.97hz material.

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Sadly it's crashing again with Reclock, even with the tweak.

I guess it could be something to do with the fact that my TV only supports 60hz, but then Reclock is clever enough to know that it can't sync 25fps material to my TV and says it's just adjusting the rate very slightly. Anyway, I think the previous crashes I had with the game trailers (from IGN I think) were with 29.97hz material.

Thanks for letting me know mate.

I've actually been testing this tonight and got several crashes with my test show then all of a sudden it started working :confused: Reverted to my original Reclock config and it still worked! Really very odd.

I'm running at 50Hz so I don't think it's the 60Hz thing.

A little more testing then bed.

Cheers,

Mick.

Edit. Just crashed again. Log attached. This is the log directly after the crash. Doesn't look very helpful :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom