Crashing on startup (1 Viewer)

David Burton

Portal Member
December 20, 2015
Home Country
England England
Hi all,

Having an odd issue with MP 1.19, which I have used for many years without fault. Recently, my SSD died for my OS, so a full re-install had to be done, and since then I have encountered a seemingly random video lockup when starting the client.

The best way I can describe it is that the video is paused (I have a 3 screen setup) on all screens, yet the mouse still moves/reacts, and I continue to hear sound as normal. I'd like to note that with the exception of the SSD hardware, nothing has changed and all driver versions are as they were before the failure, due to using a mirror recovery tool (entire HDD was locally backed up)

The only way, it seems, to recover this is a hard reset of the PC, usually not a problem however the last time it completely trashed my TV server, it wouldn't detect the DVB-T stick, even tho other PVR tools could detect and use it no problem, had to do a full clean-up removal and re-install to get it going again.

I know this might be vague, but i there is any other info I can provide please say, the down side is the crash appears to not to generate logs so is there anything else I can provide?

Thanks for the help!

DB

David Burton

Portal Member
December 20, 2015
Home Country
England England
Well, this has happened again. Hang on startup, ruined database leading to re-install. I did ask if I could provide any further info, and got no reply so my option is to now remove this garbage software, and just buy a TV. Cheesed of with the crashes, with seemingly no offer of guidance. Is anyone willing to offer assistance with this?

nfox

Portal Pro
August 22, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
From the WIKI:

How to start a bug report thread:

1. Choose a meaningful title for your thread.
  2. Report only one problem per thread.
  3. At the moment you start a new thread in the support forums, the hardware specification template will be added automatically.
    If the template is empty, then you have not filled out your specifications in the yet. See usercpSystem Specs if you need help entering these.
    Note: Your report *MUST include a complete hardware specification!*
  4. Add a detailed, step by step description of your problem.
  5. To create clean and conclusive logs you only have to: (See Log Files for details)
    1. use the "MediaPortal Debug" shortcut from your Windows Start Menu (Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal) to start MediaPortal using the WatchDog Debug tool.
    2. Inside the new window which will then open, select the first option "Report a bug to Team MediaPortal", which will start MediaPortal in a special debug mode, using the default skin and distributed plugins only.
    3. Reproduce the issue and close MediaPortal afterwards.
      Note: Debug mode automatically disables all extensions and uses the Titan skin to ensure your issue is not produced by an extension.
    4. A MediaPortalLogs_<Date>_<Time>.zip file will be automatically created.
    5. Please attach it to your thread/post. Without logs it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to help you!
  6. Do NOT copy/paste your log files (or large parts of them) in your post.
Please note that support and bug report threads, which are missing the required information posted above will not be processed and may also be deleted.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Have you tried looking at the Windows logs in event viewer to find if there are any clues to the cause of the crash?

If there are no MP logs it's very hard to suggest possible causes.

David Burton

Portal Member
    December 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    From the WIKI:

How to start a bug report thread:

1. Choose a meaningful title for your thread.
    Not sure I could have described it any better...
    1. Report only one problem per thread.
    i have, and got no reply, hence my bump.
    1. At the moment you start a new thread in the support forums, the hardware specification template will be added automatically.
      If the template is empty, then you have not filled out your specifications in the yet. See usercpSystem Specs if you need help entering these.
      Note: Your report *MUST include a complete hardware specification!
    Ok, I accept my detail was sketchy, but the problem existed only after a HDD failure, the hardware otherwise was unchanged and all drivers were EXCACTLY the same sue to .iso backup. Can't beleive it's an SSD issue... I've now added systems specs.

1. Add a detailed, step by step description of your problem.

Impossible, it's so random. Literally, the steps are: 1. start MP. 2. cross fingers it doesnt hard-lock the GPU
    1. To create clean and conclusive logs you only have to: (See Log Files for details)
      1. use the "MediaPortal Debug" shortcut from your Windows Start Menu (Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal) to start MediaPortal using the WatchDog Debug tool.
      2. Inside the new window which will then open, select the first option "Report a bug to Team MediaPortal", which will start MediaPortal in a special debug mode, using the default skin and distributed plugins only.
      3. Reproduce the issue and close MediaPortal afterwards.
        Note: Debug mode automatically disables all extensions and uses the Titan skin to ensure your issue is not produced by an extension.
      4. A MediaPortalLogs_<Date>_<Time>.zip file will be automatically created.
      5. Please attach it to your thread/post. Without logs it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to help you!
    For all of this, it's so annoyingly intermittent, it's hard to grab logs as previously stated. It seems that MP is actually RUNNING in the background, so as far as it's concerned it hasn't crashed. Let me know if I can do anything else to expand on this.

1. Do NOT copy/paste your log files (or large parts of them) in your post.
    I've added EVERYTHING I could find.
    Please note that support and bug report threads, which are missing the required information posted above will not be processed and may also be deleted.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
      246.7 KB

David Burton

Portal Member
    December 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Have you tried looking at the Windows logs in event viewer to find if there are any clues to the cause of the crash?

If there are no MP logs it's very hard to suggest possible causes.

I have, and there's very few clues in there. It's frustrating me cos I've used MP for YEARS with no issue, but after a HDD failure and OS reinstall I'm now having issues. I've expanded on my previous post and attached whatever logs I could find hoping for some help :(

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    There only appear to be TV Server logs in the zip file - can you post the client logs please?

after a HDD failure and OS reinstall

Do you mean you re-installed Windows (i.e. a 'from scratch' install) after the HDD/SSD replacement (as I thought the first post suggested that you did a HDD restore from a backup disk image)?

David Burton

Portal Member
    December 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    There only appear to be TV Server logs in the zip file - can you post the client logs please?

Do you mean you re-installed Windows (i.e. a 'from scratch' install) after the HDD/SSD replacement (as I thought the first post suggested that you did a HDD restore from a backup disk image)?

It's now both. I originally restored from an ISO but in desperation have formatted and re-installed using Windows 10 Pro. I'm at work at the moment, I'll try and find the other logs but it will be much later on. Many thanks for the reply :)

David Burton

Portal Member
    December 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Well, sods law. I now have been unable to get it to crash, using either the watchdog or normally so I'll put this on ice for now, and will post back once I get it to crash. Thanks for the efforts, and sorry for being snippy previously (It'd been a really, REALLY bad day...)

One thing I have now noticed though, is an apparent drop in the volume of movies but only after an ad break ends!!

Edit: Audio thing sorted, LAV codec setup was to blame. All good =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom