Crop support (1 Viewer)

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
I don't know if this should be a request og bug report. I thought I had it fixed when I finally got ffdshow working with MP, but unfortunatly the crop function in ffdshow was not working correctly.

The problem is pretty clear, there is a reason tv's have overscan, on the edge of the image there is usually some "noise", or the image is not 100% centered. You don't see this on normal tv's cause normal tv's only show like 95% of the image. The problem on a computer however is that it shows everything. So you even get the noise on the edge of the image.

Thus you need a crop feature. You need the ability to define how many pixels on the end ov the image that should be removed. I guess some cards have this build in. Unfortunatly the hauppauge pvr series dont.

On normal TV it's not so bad, I only get an dark grey border of maybe 10-15 pixels on both sides of the picture. However when using the ext input on the card (for my STB) it gets worse, with flickering noise on the right side.

As I said earlier, ffdshow should be able to fix this, unfortunatly whatever zoom/crop function I try it cuts off a large chunk of the image on the right side, even with the lowest number of 8 pixels cut of, more than 100 pixels are gone. it's almost as it missinterpets the resolution of the video.

KRA

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Home Country
Norway Norway
I think I have confirmed that there is something odd with resolution.

If I turn on resize in ffdshow, and resize to 720x576 (and add a border of 1pixel), then crop works as it is supposed to. That is, first I have it resize, then do the crop.

Unfortunatly I need OSD turned on in ffdshow to make it work, odd thing is the osd reports the input size as 720x576 and output as 720x576. But still if I don't do the resize before the crop, crop takes out my guess about 150 pixels rather than the 8 specified.

Now if I only got it working without the osd on......

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

I was able to succesfully crop the TV image (together with resize) with ffdshow a while ago. I don't remember if I've tried this without the OSD from ffdshow, though. This was around 0.1.0.8 I believe when ffdshow was just reported to work with My TV in the "Tips 'n Tricks" forum. But, for me, ffdshow introduces negative side-effects with other things so I don't intend to use it anymore. And, my CPU is too underpowered to use it anyway. cropping the image and resizing it was already too demanding for my CPU... :cry:

A crop feature from within MP would be nice indeed, but I guess this isn't very easy to implement as it would require some additional filter attached in the graph?

Kind regards,
    Michel

KRA

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    scoop said:
    A crop feature from within MP would be nice indeed, but I guess this isn't very easy to implement as it would require some additional filter attached in the graph?

Kind regards,
    Michel

I'm not a programmer, but I guess there are different ways to do this. The best way would be to do the crop on the input then you would have a nice looking file. With ffdshow you only do it on output stream. Both of these features would demand a fair amount of coding I guess.

There might be a third option thou, I guess it would be just like the pan/scan - zoom mode etc. you simply put up a black "border" around the picture and you define how many pixels it should be. This offcourse would only affect playback at not the file/stream itself.

Once again, not a programmer, so I really don't know how hard it would be.

Blizz

Portal Member
    April 1, 2005
    I have the same problem: Enabling ffdshow (20050704) to crop 8 pixels of the left side causes it to cut about 150 pixels from the right side with me. (Hauppage PVR500-MCE). Anyone found a solution for this yet?
    I personally find the black border on the right side pretty annoying

Franky

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    ITALY
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I have the same situation to solve: black gray slices on the left and right of the image in TV, about 20 - 50 pixels. I solved it in my previous configuration with crop function of ffdshow. Before I had a PVR150MCE and a ATIx700. Now I have a ATi Theatrix 550pro + a Twinhan DVB-T CI and a NVidia 6800GS VGA. I use PureVideo nVidia Codec and I cannot use ffdshow in postprocessing watching TV because if I use it, less than half of the screen is green on the right and on the left there is the whole TV images! With my older experience I saw that the best performance for Tv are obtained without FFDShow (more fluidity in the images). But I need a way to resize, crop the TV image without FFDShow.
    Any Idea?
    Franky

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Can't you just use the screen calibration tool in MediaPortal to scale it until the problem area in the video is outside the overscan area? Maybe I am missing something.

Franky

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    ITALY
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    It can be an idea but I don't know if a can move the angle outside the screen. If it's possible I will try. Not so elegant but efficient!
    Thanks

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I have had no problems moving the corners out of the screen, seems like a simple solution to your issue if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom