Custom Data Grabber including Sky UK Channel/EPG Grabber (2 Viewers)

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
July 19, 2008
Ipswich
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
How many channels are you scanning? The UK one scans so many that DJBlu implemented throttling to reduce the stutter, this has been copied across to the version I was working on and appeared ok. The NZ one doesn't have this as there are only around 180 channels to be scanned, but I do need to add this to make it more compliant i suppose. If you're able to, can you post your logs for the tvserver and also record what time the stutter occures when you next can so we can try and correlate the time to the logs.

Chris

Well I assume its scanning all 930 channels although I only have 85 on my guide. Will keep an eye on it and see when it next updates and then grab the logs. Is there a specific log u need?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    SourceTree has built in Git and Mercurial control and its all done via a normal windows interface, much nicer to use than any of hte other git programs in my opinion, its also easy to see source and branches. The biggest trouble I had, and I've seen you hit similar problems was setting up the enviroment to compile the filters! Damn fiddly.

My git repository is here: https://github.com/Benoire and this is where the two plugins are currently stored. Because this mod is not supported by the dev team, everything has to be stored elsewhere. The code is pretty much all DJBlu's work, apart from where I had to rebuild from the dlls as he lost the source. As I said I have a number of ideas on to improve them and I'll drop you a PM once you're up to speed.

Chris[DOUBLEPOST=1404683382][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How many channels are you scanning? The UK one scans so many that DJBlu implemented throttling to reduce the stutter, this has been copied across to the version I was working on and appeared ok. The NZ one doesn't have this as there are only around 180 channels to be scanned, but I do need to add this to make it more compliant i suppose. If you're able to, can you post your logs for the tvserver and also record what time the stutter occures when you next can so we can try and correlate the time to the logs.

Chris

Well I assume its scanning all 930 channels although I only have 85 on my guide. Will keep an eye on it and see when it next updates and then grab the logs. Is there a specific log u need?
    Why only 85 in your guide? have you disabled the rest? Can you run setup and do a grab now and look at the output as the channels update, it should be [8/930] updated and it should increase incrementally and at a consistant rate. If not, then throttling is not working... For example mine jumps around 20 channels at a time but when throttling is on it updates slowly.

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2008
    Ipswich
    Home Country
    SourceTree has built in Git and Mercurial control and its all done via a normal windows interface, much nicer to use than any of hte other git programs in my opinion, its also easy to see source and branches. The biggest trouble I had, and I've seen you hit similar problems was setting up the enviroment to compile the filters! Damn fiddly.

My git repository is here: https://github.com/Benoire and this is where the two plugins are currently stored. Because this mod is not supported by the dev team, everything has to be stored elsewhere. The code is pretty much all DJBlu's work, apart from where I had to rebuild from the dlls as he lost the source. As I said I have a number of ideas on to improve them and I'll drop you a PM once you're up to speed.

Chris[DOUBLEPOST=1404683382][/DOUBLEPOST]

Chris

Why only 85 in your guide? have you disabled the rest? Can you run setup and do a grab now and look at the output as the channels update, it should be [8/930] updated and it should increase incrementally and at a consistant rate. If not, then throttling is not working... For example mine jumps around 20 channels at a time but when throttling is on it updates slowly.

Yeah I've only selected the channels I want to be available as I pick up the fta channels. Throttling is enabled and it does update reasonably slowly although it's not always in sequential order but it does seem to do it and at the end it will say 930 channels updated.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Iceman so you don't use this for Sky, but for FTA channels on the sky platform? Do you use channel numbers and auto-updates? Wondering whether there should be another plugin for standard fta channels that does something similar?

Iceman89610

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2008
    Ipswich
    Home Country
    Iceman so you don't use this for Sky, but for FTA channels on the sky platform? Do you use channel numbers and auto-updates? Wondering whether there should be another plugin for standard fta channels that does something similar?
    That's correct, only the fta channels on the Sky platform as this plugin gives me series link which is a must for me. I don't use the sky numbering or regions as the regions doesnt pick up a few channels for some reason so I do it manually. I just scan, choose the channels I want, add the logos and then let the epg update hourly. It's pretty much what's on the Freesat platform with a few additional fta sky channels thrown in as well.

Last edited:

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    Thanks Benoire I've had a go but know I've done it wrong.

I think I know what I want to do - merge 1.7.1 custom grabber branch into 1.8.0 but I just can't work out how to do it in TortoiseGit or in the Altassian software you recommended.

I've tried something but it's almost certainly gone wrong and even if it's gone right I don't know what I've done.

Do I grab / download 1.8.0 then merge and select 1.7.1 exp custom, or grav 1.7.1 exp custom and merge to 1.8.0? In my experience of TFS I'd say the latter - that's what I tried but I don't think it went well.

Any guidance gratefully receieved. It seems like there are 2 small conflicts in SQL update scripts but easily resolved.

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Basically it should be merging 1.7.1 in to 1.8, effectively the code changes exist in 1.8 and we only want to add the changes that differ from the 1.7.1 to 1.8. It is the latter option... What are the errors? I'm currently at work but my dev VM was installed this morning and so should be able to get VS installed when I get home to try and do it.[DOUBLEPOST=1404686557][/DOUBLEPOST]@Iceman89610

I'll have a look at amending the plugin to allow it to grab FTA channels only, that should reduce the read/write IOPS right down. But I am still curious as to why it is doing what it is. When you get the logs can you also provide the setup information/hardware?

Last edited:

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    Thanks - yeah nearly bedtime for me anyway! So just one more question for tonight - if I'm only working on 1.7.1 custom grabber locally, and I merge into 1.8.0, how do I then get my hands on the merged 1.8.0 to test it locally?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks - yeah nearly bedtime for me anyway! So just one more question for tonight - if I'm only working on 1.7.1 custom grabber locally, and I merge into 1.8.0, how do I then get my hands on the merged 1.8.0 to test it locally?
    To get the 1.8 code, you will have to have grabbed the latest upstream from MediaPortal-1. This will give you a local copy so when merging you are working on a local branch and then once merged you have to then upload to the online host. No merging is done online with giyhub I believe, well there maybe packages available that you pay for but certianly the free stuff is all local with code then stored online for others to access.

ears

Portal Member
    October 7, 2008
    Ah thanks. So I grab 1..8.0, then merge, and - right that's making sense now. I merge FROM another branch.

That's the way around I did it first time, but something's going a bit wrong. I'm getting SQL errors in TV Service about missing fields in tables. When I've done the merge I have ended up with SQL update scripts that are much longer, and seem to include script to create these fields, but they're not making their way into the installer ... yet.

Will have another look tomorrow, I'm really keen to get up to speed with this. So in Git I merge TO the current branch, FROM another branch. Was always the other way around in TFS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom