Cyberlink h264 problem in 0.2.3.0 final (1 Viewer)

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 Final
MediaPortal Skin: xface
Windows Version: xp mce edition
Video Card: 8500gt
Video Card Driver: Forceware 163.71
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3Filter
Remote: MCE
TV: Panny Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HDMI

Hi,

I have multiple x264 MKV movies on my system.
I have Cyberlink h.264 set as my h.264 codec in My Movies.
Today I installed 0.2.3.0 final (After having RC3), and one of the MKV's (Out of many) is not playing.
I click "play" and nothing happens.
Some things i noticed:
- Other mkv's seem to work.
- If i change from cyberlink h264 to FFDSHOW h.264 the problem is gone.
- Changing audio codec from AC3Filter to ffdshow audio doesn't help.

Going back to RC3 the problem dissapears.
To find the source I went through SVN's between RC3 and now and noticed the problem started between SVN 16322 and 16330.
In other words the problem does not happen in 16322 and does happen in 16330.

I've attached my logs...

trevor

Portal Pro
October 17, 2006
Chelmsford
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have the same problem and using the same codec, I tracked the issue down to having h/w decoding enabled - seems the Nvidia cards have some issues with h/w decoding of some MKV files.

For a test you could try disabling the h/w decoding for the Cyberlink codec under 'Direcshow Filter Control' and see if they play ok.

Not a fix just an option

Trevor

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
I don't use HW decoding on MKV files.
It defaults to off since I am using VOBSub to add SRT subtitles.

I've just checked some more and the problem is not specific to cyberlink. The file fails to play using CoreAVC decoder as well.
So only ffdshow h264 seems to work

homerpez

Portal Member
May 1, 2007
I'm having a similar issue to this - I think.

However, what I've noticed is that with 0.2.3, I get STUTTERING on ALL H.264 files I play.

That is, the movie plays, sound is SUPERB, but the video will play a few seconds, then repeat frames, then play some more, and repeat frames... and so on and so on.

I have tried the PowerDVD filter, with and without hardware accelleration (usually I want it in software mode anyway), with and without the Vista enhancements, also tried the CoreAVC codec. These ALL produce this skipping effect in the video!

Outside of Mediaportal, I simply play the mkv files with Media PLayer Classic, and it loads the Cyberlink filter (software mode) and ffdshow audio codec.... plays just fine. The computer is more than quick enough to play any video I have with software, in addition I have a Nvidia 8600 GT card... and as I said, outside of Media Portal, all these movies play just fine.

Ideally, inside of Media Portal, I'd really like to use the Cyberlink filter with h.264, I know that ffdshow can do it, but it does it poorly. And this stuttering video seems to be across the board, no matter which codec I use. :confused:

(Out of curiosity... could I use maybe Nvidia Purevideo 2 instead? (hardware acceleration)... my card does this, but i can only seem to get close to Purevideo via the cyberlink filter... any way to patch it in direct?)

Can someone who's playing h.264 movies (720p and larger), AND using the Cyberlink H.264 codec, AND having no issues, please post your fix? Or is it just another bug? I really appreciate any help... :D

fillerguy

Portal Pro
September 12, 2007
Milton, ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
I had this problem also, strangley, with only 1080p mkv files. I loaded up the directvobsub config and selected 'do not load' under loading (to bypass the filter) and now everything works ok. Just an idea for you to try to troubleshoot the source of the problem.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well I have a HD2400 Pro
Codecs: Haali Mediasplitter, PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 (with latest HD update did the update yesterday) and FFDShow (latest Beta) installed and don't have any problems since the PowerDVD update....

For codecs I use FFDShow for everything except for h.264 (here I use PowerDVD codec)
I had to use GSpot to change some codec merits but now all works perfectly!

homerpez

Portal Member
May 1, 2007
@ fillerguy: If I disable directvobsub, won't I completely lose the ability to play back mkv's that have softsubs? (I will be watching a LOT of anime... this is a big issue).

@ ThaClown: What I'm concerned with is.. (with both your suggestion and fillerguy's).. outside of Mediaportal, things work just fine on all fronts, so making huge changes to the codecs installed, I'm worried about breaking what already works (I have done this SO many times).

I think I have the previous build of PowerDVD (not the newest yet), ffdshow (CCCP pack) and all my subtitles work great. Using the Cyberlink codec for video, ffdshow for audio and subtitles (maybe it's vobsub, I still don't know...), I can play back basically everything with H.264. ONLY in Mediaportal does this video stuttering happen using the same exact codecs.

I'm curious... was your video stuttering like this BEFORE the Cyberlink update? or are you simply stating that you don't have problems with it? Meaning, was it "problem, solution"? Or "never had that problem"? :)

BUT, I will try both solutions when I get back to my HTPC (at work atm)... thanks for the suggestions!

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
My issue has nothing to do with vobsub, it happens without it just the same...

pvkleeff

Portal Member
July 18, 2007
Roosendaal
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I have the same problem as well.
The strange thing is that some mkv's work but most don't (roughly 1 out of 10 will work). They simply play the file but give a black screen.
H/W accelleration on or off doesn't matter, neither does vobsub.
When I switch to ffdshow or AVIVO they work again.
For audio I use the Cyberlink Codec as well, and that still works.

Outside of MP I can use the Cyberlink Codec without any trouble.
Has this already been reported as an official bug ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom