Database losing entries (1 Viewer)

Boiler

Portal Pro
July 29, 2007
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
okay, this is weird problem

every once in a while, moving pictures seems to lose certain movies, which then have to be re-imported. it's always the same movies and the import always works okay (meaning the right movie is always chosen and i just have to 'okay' it, but it doesn't work fully automatic).

it's unpredictable and i can't provoke this behavior. i usually realize this when a movie is missing in the GUI (like, hey, between movie mmm and movie uuuu should be movie zzz), so i switch to the configuration screen and voila, the movie gets imported just as if it was a new addition to the database.

i was wondering if anyone else has encountered this behavior.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    okay, this is weird problem

every once in a while, moving pictures seems to lose certain movies, which then have to be re-imported. it's always the same movies and the import always works okay (meaning the right movie is always chosen and i just have to 'okay' it, but it doesn't work fully automatic).

it's unpredictable and i can't provoke this behavior. i usually realize this when a movie is missing in the GUI (like, hey, between movie mmm and movie uuuu should be movie zzz), so i switch to the configuration screen and voila, the movie gets imported just as if it was a new addition to the database.

i was wondering if anyone else has encountered this behavior.

This is what log files are for, unless you want to ship your computer to somebody that can help :D

Enable debug-mode for the log files in MediaPortal configuration, and keep gathering log files until it happens again. The moment you need to capture is when the movie 'dissapears', as the re-import obviously is working well.

So you will need to constantly verify if the movie is still there, and the moment it is gone, you close MediaPortal, zip up *ALL* the log files and provide them in a response to this thread.

Hopefully the log files will then contain all the information to solve the mystery.

PS: Everytime you close/re-open MediaPortal new log files are made, but there is sometimes one older log file kept via .log.old, however the best thing to do is to capture the event in a fresh log file to be sure the event took place. So you have to keep using it until you know 100% sure that a movie that was there when you started dissapeared before you closed MediaPortal. An easy way to do this would be to open the "All Movies" view and write down the total movies amount everytime you start your HTPC. Then before you plan to shut it down, you check to see if that number is still the same. If it is not, then you ZIP up those log files.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: AW: Database losing entries

thanks RoChess, will do as you say!

:D those random bugs are the hardest to solve, so I hope you can 'capture' the event when it happens, because the developers should be able to see what the reason is from those debug-enabled log files.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another tip: Use the DEBUG Mode link from the start menu and its option 3 to gather all your log files. it will also gather things linke event log & dx diagnostics making debugging life easier. See my footer for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom