Dead Link to find xmltv.dtd (1 Viewer)

Floorhor

Portal Member
July 26, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
WMC channel guide messed up, so I figured rather than mess with fixing it, I'll just jump ship to a recommended open source media center. Read good things about MediaPortal, so why not give it a shot.

So I got it set up with channels and movies scanned. So I thought everything's looking good here. Well I go to getting a channel guide imported. So I read in the Wiki and was excited to read how a channel guide 'is one of the most important parts of the MediaPortal TV system.' So cool, this should be doable.

Nope. The link to get the xmltv.dtd link is dead. I go to this forum and search and find the same dead links. So much for the idea of 'most important.'

1. Someone talk me off the ledge on thinking if a 'most important' link is dead, then what else is dead? Is this horse dying? Should I scrap it and go someplace else?
  2. I searched on the web and downloaded a zipped file from the same site. It had a bunch of files, including xmltv.dtd. It was only 6k or so. I moved it and still didn't work. As a note, I noticed a 16mb 'application' file in the bunch of files. Does it need any of these? If it does, why was I not told?
  3. Someone give me a live link...if it exists.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    if you look in the the following folder you should find a copy of xmltv.dtd

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv

Floorhor

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    I'm not at my computer right, but I'm confused. You mean even though the wiki say to do it, there's no need? Please tell me no.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    you are the 1st person who as ever reported the broken link. not sure when MP software installs started adding the xmltv.dtd file. If I get time this afternoon I'll remove the "download xmltv.dtd" step from the wiki.

Floorhor

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Oooo. Swing and a miss. Maybe I'm the first one to report this folder does not actually exist. Does anybody really know if this file ever existed? Sounds like a myth.

Maybe it would be better to fix the link or actually download it with the package. Just sayin'.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    on my new install MP1 v1.12 it is located in the following folder, to show the extension I had to enable that setting in Win8 file explorer
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv

Attachments

• xmltv_dtd.PNG
      xmltv_dtd.PNG
      29.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello folks

WMC channel guide messed up, so I figured rather than mess with fixing it, I'll just jump ship to a recommended open source media center. Read good things about MediaPortal, so why not give it a shot.
    Typical Microsoft, right?!?
    Thanks for trying MP. :)

Nope. The link to get the xmltv.dtd link is dead.
    Please could you post a link to the page you're looking at so that we can fix this.

I go to this forum and search and find the same dead links. So much for the idea of 'most important.'
    Let's have some context and perspective!

First, I have linked to the file in past posts. It is hosted on SourceForge, which has been having massive issues in the last few weeks:
    http://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-infrastructure-and-service-restoration-update-for-724/

In other words, you may have just had bad timing when you tried those links.

Second, there are a variety of ways of getting guide data into MP. Only the XMLTV plugin may require that DTD file. The majority of people that use MP are not in the US or Canada, and they can get guide data without the XMLTV plugin. My point is that while popular, the XMLTV plugin is far from being the only or even most popular way of getting guide data.

Finally, for the benefit of people that prefer to use XMLTV, we do supply the DTD file as part of our install package.

In other words, I think your statement/comment is a little unfair. Please give us the benefit of the doubt.

Someone talk me off the ledge on thinking if a 'most important' link is dead, then what else is dead? Is this horse dying? Should I scrap it and go someplace else?
    As above. If you're not convinced that's fine. :)

I searched on the web and downloaded a zipped file from the same site. It had a bunch of files, including xmltv.dtd. It was only 6k or so. I moved it and still didn't work.
    You said "and still didn't work" without explaining what is actually wrong. I'd be happy to help, but at some point you're going to need to actually tell us what the problem is. ;)

As a note, I noticed a 16mb 'application' file in the bunch of files. Does it need any of these? If it does, why was I not told?
    You haven't told us what application you downloaded... but still, categorically: no, none of those other files are needed. We supply all the files you need as part of our install package. You weren't told about needing other files because you don't need other files.

Someone give me a live link...if it exists.
    Like I said, we include it in our install package.
    c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv

Yes, that's ProgramData not program files. Copy and paste the path into the address bar in Windows Explorer to get there.

If you can't find ProgramData then you can download the same file we include here:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M...gine3/TVLibrary/TVServer.Base/xmltv/xmltv.dtd

If that is not sufficient, you can get it from the XMLTV project releases:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmltv/files/xmltv/

Presumably that's what you downloaded, and so you definitely have the file you need.

...and if that was not enough, a simple internet search yields a bunch of other helpful results:
    http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/cvs_working/xmltv.dtd

I'm going to assume that you're competent enough to get xmltv.dtd via one of the above means. If you still have a problem after acquiring xmltv.dtd then please explain what the problem is and I'll be happy to assist.

Regards,
    mm

Floorhor

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok. I think I've made some headway. It says that the tvguide.xml was imported successfully. 37 channels, but not listings. I had set up channel mapping, although each station has three or so listings for the same station and there's nothing in the literature indicating which to use. For instance there are three lines with WHNSDT (I'm not talking about WHNSDT2 or WHNSDT3, I see three lines with WHNSDT along with other gibberish). So I have no clue whether mapping correct, which anyway should not yield 0 program listings imported. I would be happy with some so I could remap. Anyway there's probably something else going on.

This really should be easy, which makes me marvel at the condescension. BTW, I donate to every program I use regularly. I'm not a leach. But it does have to work for normal human beings.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Actually it works for normal human beings:rolleyes:
    The main problem is that the systems are completely different. Just think about the fact that most of the devs are located overseas, MM for example is in NZ as far as I know, and until a short time ago, EPG support for the US was at best partial. In Europe the program guide is transmitted via the sat signal, here you have to have a separate program to pull it. MePo came a long way, but to be honest, MS didn't really do a favor to us by killing WMC at this point :cool:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Floorhor

Before I go any further, please could you post links to the wiki page(s) you were looking at (as previously requested) so we can fix the links. Having working links is important to us.

Ok. I think I've made some headway. It says that the tvguide.xml was imported successfully.
    Great, yes that sounds good. :)

37 channels, but not listings.
    That usually indicates one of 2 things:
    1. Your XMLTV file doesn't have any fresh listings.
    2. You haven't successfully mapped any channels.
    With the information that you've provided, I can't tell which is the case.

I had set up channel mapping...
    I don't understand your description. Could you please post a screenshot. While you're at it, could you also please zip and post your tvguide.xml file. This will help me to help you.

This really should be easy, which makes me marvel at the condescension. BTW, I donate to every program I use regularly. I'm not a leach. But it does have to work for normal human beings.
    Hmmm, condescension? :confused:
    Are you talking about my previous post? ...because I was trying to be cheery and helpful, not condescending.

In any case, you're right that this should be easy. I'm trying to help you, but more information is required...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom