Dedicated tv server setup issue (1 Viewer)

Callumgw

Portal Pro
June 2, 2008
Home Country
I'm seeking some help....I've been running a MePo server/client and added an extra client about a year ago. It all worked fine. Now I'm trying to move the server to a home server box running win7x64 ultimate. So I'm running a trial install to see if i can get things working. I thought I might have most trouble getting the file server stuff working on win7.....but it's MePo thats giving me the headache.

I get the server installed and running. The client is running and the correct serve name is in use. I get an "unknown error". I get an opportunity to change server name and that gives me another error with more info. It says "connected to server, cannot access database, all ports ok". Now the client can see the TV guide information, but gets no stream. It allows to "record now" and "record current" but recording doesn't start. The log files don't seem to point to anything particular. I've tried firewalls off and virus protection off, but with no luck yet.

A web search didn't turn much up, so advice is required! Please help.

C

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Can you please post your logs.

So basically its the streaming/watching that is not working - the DB connection/TV guide works fine?

J.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Callum,

I had a very frustrating and similar problem last week with 2 clients and difficulty accessing the SQL database on the TV server.

The final solution was to give static IP addresses to all clients and then the connection problem went away and all was back to normal.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    And don't forget to run the TvService with a user account that has write priviliges to your recordings share, or else recordings won't work.

Last edited:

Callumgw

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2008
    Home Country
    J,
    When I go to "TV" it pops the first error message in the bottom right corner (in blue3 its over the 'current program' info, under the tv window). When it is dismissed you can see the current program information where is should be. When you try to turn on the TV stream it just puts up that error. Then if you click on TV guide it takes you to a page to update the Server name (I have tried with the name and fixed IP of the server, same errors for both), when you select "done" it gives the error with more detail (connected to server, cant connect to database, ports seem ok).
    Which Logs would you like to see? I have checked the 4 or so on both server and client side and didn't see anything obvious.

Porky,
    I'll give that static ip a go....

C[DOUBLEPOST=1347796109][/DOUBLEPOST]HomeY
    Its currently running on the server side from the admin account....something I'd like to change in the mature solution.
    C

Callumgw

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Guys,
    Thanks for your help, I found the issue. :oops:
    Seems when I grabbed the install file from my linux server before shutting it down to do this test build, I grabbed v1.1.3 not v1.2.3 :oops:
    So with the correct version of the TV server it now work...what a surprise! :oops:

Anyway a quick test shows it can record and view at the same time to the same machine...so, so far so good. We'll try a bit more stress testing through the week and see how things go.

Thanks again!
    C
    (FYI, testing server has E2130 (dual core 1.8Ghz intel): 8Gb Ram: onboard graphics (matrox G200e- truely terrible graphics!, drivers don't even do wide screen formats!) 120Gb SSD (reused from desktop): Hauppage HVR-2200 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom