Deeper integration of web browsers (1 Viewer)

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Yes, I know. Most functions and plugins obtains information from the Internet web sites or their API. And I know that in most cases this informations are sufficient. But I also know that from time to time need to look at the details. And then is time to use a standard web interface with browser. MediaPortal has such a feature - web browsers. There are two methods for their use. Explicit call to browse plugin or implied as Infoservice example.

I once edited a very popular plugin BrowseTheWeb call with parameter option and began to use it for deeper connections with a number of plugins. But it was always just a workaround that requires skin editing xml files and similary steps. It is clear that it is not systematic, and certainly it is not intended for normal user. But I have verified that these functions are very useful and regular users (like my wife) is perceived as very pleasant!

So what I suggest?
    • Define and unify the various methods of calling browser plugins (today we have four or five browsers) for example through a some "metabrowser "...
    • Define and describe ways to call with parameters - for example BrowseTheWeb uses two ways - by calling the fulfillment of global variables (defined in InfoService plugin) or by passing parameters by call
    • Declaring general support of this method and promote it both at the individual level plugins and skins
    It's certainly a lot of plugins, where the ability to view the corresponding website in relation to the current function and displayed content. We all know InfoService. I realized (in frame my workarounds) calls from movie detail page MovingPictures plugin and from Satellite view page of WorldWearher plugin.

I think that now each of us finds a number of other possible uses.

Please discuss it.

Regards,

JiRo.

P.S.
    Attached an example - how go from start of Moving Picture plugin to imdb.com movie detail in five steps.

Attachments

• 0.BasicHome.jpg
      0.BasicHome.jpg
      207.4 KB
    • 1.Movingpictures.jpg
      1.Movingpictures.jpg
      90.4 KB
    • 2.Select movie.jpg
      2.Select movie.jpg
      234.9 KB
    • 3.Select Detail.jpg
      3.Select Detail.jpg
      270.8 KB
    • 4.Select imdb web.jpg
      4.Select imdb web.jpg
      249.1 KB
    • 5.Imdb web with movie detail.png
      5.Imdb web with movie detail.png
      886.8 KB

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    JiRo, I agree with you. Browser support can be useful in many cases. But I think there's no need to have 4-5 browser coz BrowseTheWeb is pretty good with its link ID input/ Maybe it should replace Webrowser in Infoservice.
    And if someone will make interface for calling browser I hope it will contain not only link parameter but also cookies (i.e you need to browse site with authorization) or maybe some extra http properties

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom