Default set of media view/filter definitions (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I looked further and I think now that changing the navigation hierarchy is not so difficult. The logic is currently as following (taking series example):
    • The SeriesNavigation class initializes the available screens:
      • new SeriesShowItemsScreenData(picd),
        filterBySeries,
        new VideosFilterByLanguageScreenData(),
        new SeriesFilterBySeasonScreenData(),
        new VideosFilterByGenreScreenData(),
        new VideosSimpleSearchScreenData(picd),
    • There is one screen in list that is used as default (here: series filter, passed as argument later)
    • When changing from a screen to next screen, the first available screen is used for display.
    After I found out the last point I exchanged to order of screens to:
    • Series -> Seasons -> Episodes :)
    As drawback there is an logical issue if you start with: "Filter by Season" you get "Series" as next screen. For me this means that we should change the single List structure into some kind of "tree" like:

• Genre -> Series -> Seasons -> Episodes
    • Series -> Seasons -> Episodes
    • Seasons -> Episodes
    • Simple Search -> Episodes?
    for the 3 first items you see that we would only need to define 1 "chain", because 2 is subpart of 1 and so on.

Questions:
    1. What kind of default hierarchy we should build for: Series, Movies, Audio, Recordings ?
    2. How much control of modifications we need to expose to users?
      • If we allow modifications, I think the configuration should be stored in UserProfile on server, so it could be reused over different clients

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    What kind of default hierarchy we should build for: Series, Movies, Audio, Recordings ?

I only can tell how I would like to have it. If this would be "default" that will save a lot of work to me but I can't expect this to be the best for everyone. I would be really happy if it would be possible to get it the way I like at all...

Hierarchy and ordering:

Series:
    Series -> Season -> Episodes
    With Series ordered alphabetically, seasons ordered numerical excerpt of Season 0 aka "Specials" Those I like at the end of the season list... Episodes ordered by number ofc.

Movies:
    Collection
    Alphabetically ordered with movies not belonging to a collection (or to a collection with one movie available only) are shown as single movie on alphabetical order, e.g. Harry & Sally leads to playback of Movie "Harry & Sally" and Harry Potter leads to a sub- list of all 8 Harry Potter movies. Main list should be in alphabetical order, collection sub- list should be ordered by release (first in list is "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and last is "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2")

Audio:
    Album Artist -> Album -> Track
    With Album Artist sorted alphabetically, Album sorted by year and Track sorted by number. Album Artist to get all sampler listed together as Artist "Various".

Recordings:
    As I don't keep lots of recordings without cutting, converting and moving them to series or movie folder this is not important to me. If I can choose I order them by Recording Date...

Possible Filters I like to have and will use:

Series:
    All, watched, unwatched, newly added.

Movies:
    All, watched, unwatched, newly added, 3D, HD Resolution, SD Resolution, Kids Movies (Rating FSK 0 and 6).
    Resolution mainly to have a fast look if I have to upgrade quality or not

Audio:
    All, classic, rock/pop, Schlager (didn't know a proper word in English for that), decade.

Recordings:
    All, watched, unwatched.

And I would like to have independent views (layouts) for all lists and sub- lists, e.g. Series in Cover view, season in big list view and episodes in grid view.

How much control of modifications we need to expose to users?
    I know we will keep the configuration as simple as possible, but this is too important for the overall look and feel so I think we should the user having as much choice as possible. A system similar to the category system of "Moving Pictures" would be nice, I think...

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be great if we could collect and document these information well structured within the wiki for a few reasons:
    • It documents already the default views/filters for the end user.
    • It documents the default and expected behavior, which helps testing and confirming the implementation is working as it is intended.
    • While it is written down in wiki or read by others we might find improvements or glitches.
    • It is easier for the developer to implement it as it is kind of a check / todo lists.
    • It is already documented for future developments and improvements so the existing structure / overview in wiki can be reused and extended with new views / definitions without writing down the basics again when this post is already treated out of date and old.
    • Since layout and content in wiki can be improved by everyone, it is also a great base for a blog or can even be referenced or included in the release news.
    There might be other reasons for it, the only one against it is: It takes "time" and efforts to copy it over and maybe revise and improve the layout from time to time. I might have requested a documentation about it already a few times in other threads where this feature/improvement has been discussed already.

IMO it is a requirement to document it before applying and shipping it within a release. The times when we were able to argue that we are not enough people working/focusing on MP2 are gone, so we should improve documentation with implementing new stuff.

Last edited:

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks a lot Lehmden!
    One thing that came to my mind is that we should maybe have somthing like
    Album Artist -> Album -> Disc Number -> Track
    for albums that have multiple discs. But I'm not sure whether we already have a DiscNumber attribute in the AudioAspect...
    Michael

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Could be useful if someone still uses "real" audio CDs. I don't do so as I have ripped all my CDs to HDD. I've tagged (and renamed) my audio files with MediaMonkey (free version did a great job, so no need to pay for it) which grabs information from Amazon. There are unique track numbers given as Amazon add all disk together as one. So if there are 12 tracks on Disk 1 the first track of Disk 2 has track number 13.

I'm not sure whether we already have a DiscNumber attribute
    Disk Number is a standard ID3 tag so we definitely should have this.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    One thing that came to my mind is that we should maybe have somthing like

for albums that have multiple discs.
    Yep, I like that... (y)

There are unique track numbers given as Amazon add all disk together as one. So if there are 12 tracks on Disk 1 the first track of Disk 2 has track number 13.
    I don't like this. Think of albums like Foo Fighters' In Your Honor. First disc is rock; second disc is acoustic. The album was designed that way. With the totally different styles/genres, it doesn't make sense to me to group the tracks into one folder.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Recordings:

As I don't keep lots of recordings without cutting, converting and moving them to series or movie folder this is not important to me. If I can choose I order them by Recording Date...
    Yes, I would order by recording date... but I would also group by schedule.
    So for example, if you have a "series link" record for the "Game of Thrones" series, I would like to see them in one folder.
    It maybe becomes more debatable if you have a schedule rule for something that is not a series. For example, "record all programs with Attenborough in the description" (ie. want to record nature shows). Maybe people would not like them all in one folder?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    With the totally different styles/genres, it doesn't make sense to me to group the tracks into one folder.
    Shania Twain's "Up" (2002) is also something that should not add together as this is 3 albums with same songs but totally different styles...
    But for "normal" Multi Disk albums like greatest hits or Live albums it's easier if they are treated as one... As example Yessongs (1973) There are 14 tracks on 3 Disks (to be precise 6 sides of vinyl) This is a bit too much separated, I think. Especially as this is a single concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom