[confirm] Deploy issues with MSSQL Server (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

The Deploy software seems to assume that the TVServer in a multiseat environment always runs with MySQL as the database.

I installed MP 1.2.0B on a client. The TVSerever installation is fully functional (single seat) and has a SQL 2008 R2 database installed. While MP is installing smoothly on the client, the program launch throws errors in the logs.

Looking at the error it can be seen that the client tries to connect to a standard MySQL installation (root/MediaPortal), which fails since there is no MySQL but a MSSQL database on the TVServer.

Am I doing something wrong here, or does MP now require a MySQL installation for a multiseat environment?

Thanks,
    HTPC_Sourcer

Attachments

• MediaPortal.zip
      12.6 KB

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No requirement for MySQL but it is default.
    Can't check logs now as on my phone but is this just an error that happens when you first install? After you have set correct host for server does tv work?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Deploy issues with MSSQL Server

No requirement for MySQL but it is default.
    Can't check logs now as on my phone but is this just an error that happens when you first install? After you have set correct host for server does tv work?
    No, the error remains. The log is unchanged, MP is still trying to connect to a MyDQL database, which it can't find.
    I tried to play a little bit eith the gentle config. Commented out the MySQL entry and added a connection string for MSSQL on the Host. That creates other errors.

Side remark: WOL doesn't work (need to manually wake the HTPC with TV Server).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hello.
    As posted in German forum this issue appears also if you use a non standard password on MySQL. In gentle.config from TV Server there are the right connection data. But in gentle.config from Client there is always root - MediaPortal. So if you edit this file manually all works as expected (as a workaround to this bug).

I tried to play a little bit eith the gentle config. Commented out the MySQL entry and added a connection string for MSSQL on the Host. That creates other errors.
    looking on error.log it seems you have meshed up the gentle.config. Try to restore the original one and try again changing not that much...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

looking on error.log it seems you have meshed up the gentle.config. Try to restore the original one and try again changing not that much...
    Well, 2 1/2 changes only:
    1. commented out the use of MySQL
    2. deleted the MySQL connection string line that is there by default
    3. added a MSSQL connection line, which I copied from the functional singleseat system
    Can't do much less, can I? Any suggestions?

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

P.S.: I remember the mentioned threads with MySQL connection issues. Never paid much attention though as I was running on MSSQL.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hello.
    On the functional Single Seat there may be "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as "data source". This did not work on Multi Seat. There you have to add the Name or IP of your TV Server machine.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hello.
    On the functional Single Seat there may be "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as "data source". This did not work on Multi Seat. There you have to add the Name or IP of your TV Server machine.
    No, the connection string is the one for a multiseat environment (see attachment). I rather believe that the SQLEXPRESS service is not set up fore remote connections. Working on it but have to download the Management Studio 2008 first...

Attachments

• Gentle.zip
      2.1 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

OK, I got it. When you want to use MS SQL Express instead of MySQL do the following after a standard MP client installation:

• Install MSSQL Express 2008 on the host
      • Include Management Studio Support (just in case)
      • Select "SQL and Windows authentification mode"
    • Launch SQL Configuration Manager
      • SQL Server and Browser Services need to be set to automatic (usually are by default)
      • Select "SQL Server" and activate "TCP/IP" in the right window
      • Restart SQL Server
    • Windows 7 firewall
      • MP is not setting any firewall ruleon the host for using MSSQL !
      • Open the extended firewall settings in the Win configuration panel
      • Define new inbound rule (e.g. "SQL Server"): Program
      • For the rule select the program "sqlservr.exe" (can be found in the BINN subdirectory)
      • Depending on your network environment restrict the rule to "private"
    So it's not a MP problem - but an issue of insufficient firewall settings by the deploy routine on the host after having selected an existing MSSQL server installation.

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I found the reference to this thread on the wiki, after having completed the installation of SQLExpress 2008 x64 according to the instructions there.
    1. The unattended installation script from the wiki page did not install Management Studio, nor could I find a way to install it using the "SQL Server Installation Center" (see "NoManagementStudio"). How can I install Management Studio?
    2. It is also not evident to me whether or not the unattended installation enabled mixed mode authentication, nor do I see a way to verify this without Management Studio. How can I verify this?
    3. Although I downloaded the 64 bit version of SQL EXPRESS 2008 and also modified the installation script as recommended on the wiki page, SQL Configuration Manager lists only 32 bit components, and the instance, SQLEXPRESS apparently does not recognize that it is running under Win7 x64 (see "No64bit"). How can I fix this?
    4. After completing the remaining recommended steps above (with minor modifications, e.g. instance name), I tried to start TVsetup. It displayed the connection dialog (with MySQL selected by default) and reported a successful connection to SQLEXPRESS 2008 (see "SQL2005") even though it asks for SQL 2005. Unfortunately, TVsetup fails to start. Neither the user interface nor an error message appears, and there is no sign of a corresponding application or process in task manager.
    5. Since the MP installation routine never asked me for the SQL server sa password, I suspect that the DB was not initialized correctly, although I suppose MP installation could have done it using Windows authentication. IAC, I don't know how to check this without Management Studio. Any suggestions?
    Logs are attached.
    No64bit.jpgNoManagementStudio.jpgSQL2005.jpg
    P.S. The "Setup Support Rules" wizard in the "SQL Installation Center" provides this URL for information on how to configure the firewall to allow access for/to MS SQL Server.

P.P.S. Found Management Studio here. Have deinstalled MP (full cleanup) and will attempt reinstall after ensuring that mixed mode is enabled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom