Ongoing Diary of an HTPC Dabbler (1 Viewer)

Efros

Portal Pro
January 23, 2006
Maine
Home Country
England England
Indeed I just bought 4 1TB samsungs for $79.95 inc shipping each from Newegg. This means I now have 4 500GB samsungs sitting on my workbench for the moment until I figure out where to find them a new home.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just discovered an unusual problem with this new case. The LEDs on the front are so bright they could be used as laser pointers. It's not a big issue unless you sit right in front of the case, but it's pretty distracting from that spot on the couch.

I know LEDs can't be dimmed, but does anybody know of a trick for dealing with this? Maybe a film of some sort that would let some of the blue light through but reduce the brightness. I thought about clear tape since it wouldn't take away from the look of the case and it could be cut to just the right size, but I think it would not be dark enough. I read somewhere about using bluetack over bright LEDs, but it seems like it would be too dense.

Anybody have experience with this?

paddy01

Portal Member
    April 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I just discovered an unusual problem with this new case. The LEDs on the front are so bright they could be used as laser pointers. It's not a big issue unless you sit right in front of the case, but it's pretty distracting from that spot on the couch.

I know LEDs can't be dimmed, but does anybody know of a trick for dealing with this? Maybe a film of some sort that would let some of the blue light through but reduce the brightness. I thought about clear tape since it wouldn't take away from the look of the case and it could be cut to just the right size, but I think it would not be dark enough. I read somewhere about using bluetack over bright LEDs, but it seems like it would be too dense.

Anybody have experience with this?

I've yet to get around to it but the power button on the Antec Fusion is like a lighthouse...

Probably the neatest solution I've ever seen was to use tape to mask off the case just leaving the light exposed and then use a can of tinting spray to tint the light. Tinting spray is use to tint light clusters on cars in he car modifying world so should be fairly easy to obtain either online or from local auto shops.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the idea. Masking the front of the case should be very easy since it's almost completely smooth and the holes could be cut out with an exacto knife. I'll look into this stuff later today. But now I'm wondering if a dark marker might even be easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom