Digital Devices Channel Change hang (1 Viewer)

ugg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
    MediaPortal Skin: Windows Version: Windows 7 x86
    CPU Type: 2xQuad Core Intel
    HDD: 2 x Samsung 1TB
    Memory: 2GB
    Motherboard: Dell Precision T5400
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX260
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.0.23
    4. TV Card Driver: 42 Plasma
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

I an a multipe year user of MP but have moved to DVB-S2 and this Digial Devices card hangs after 10 odd channel changes I attach the logs and hopefully someone can help. I use a multi seat some 6 clients and this is not working for me...happy xmas

What I did here was clean the logs then change the channel multiple times and it crashed. Now if you guide change it will retune and it and will work. Hope someone can look at these logs I am not able hre to see the wood for the trees

Ben

ugg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Home Country
    There should be a selection of problems here, channel change hang, dropping back to the home screen and also a black screen after a few minutes of channel hopping.

All logs this time sorry to waste your time last time..:sorry:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi there

Thanks for the logs - I'm taking a look at them now. I have to say they are quite long! This makes it hard to spot the issues...

One question already though: the only channel change failures I've seen so far have been for BBC 3. I know that is not a 24 hour channel, so I wanted to make sure that it was actually broadcasting when you ran the test. Wikipedia says it broadcasts from 1900 to ~0400 and your test was at ~1430 so I think it wasn't broadcasting. Since I live in NZ I thought it was best to confirm that with you...

ugg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Home Country
    I have reinstalled Win 7 x86 on a SSD and its working great. Channel change is 1-2 sec no crashes in 2 days. With the BBC 3 issue I have removed it from my list but I would have thought MP could cope with an out of hours channel. This is not uncommon

Thanks for looking at the logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Thanks for reporting back :)
    Regarding BBC 3: no, MediaPortal can't tell that it is off air until you try and tune it. The process of looking for it will take ~ 2 x your PMT timeout setting (you can find this in TV Server configuration under the "general" section on the "scan" tab), during which time MediaPortal may appear to hang.

ugg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Seeing some crashes seems related to HD SD changes. Managed to corrupt MP XML files tunning to same channels on different MP clients with EPG enabled while time shifting switched it off so will post if it helps.

would be better to remove this option.

Will post some logs when I can reproduce the next crash but as usual its hard to remove codecs from the equation. Seems always the biggest issue.

Sorry for the lack of details just wanted to say I am working on it.....

Aussie living in Ireland...

I changed the PMT timeout to 3 secs to see if MP is more user friendly..maybe not.... can you detail what this actually is so I can decided how dumb it was to change this....you give us the power to adjust but not the knowledge please provide the foresight to know when we are doing the wrong thing.....and so allow us to guess the reprocusions of our actions before we ask blindly for help.

Please tell the monkeys what the numbers in the boxes mean.. it might make your life easier. If you think our brains would explode with the knowledge then remove the options.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again ugg

Seeing some crashes seems related to HD SD changes. Managed to corrupt MP XML files tunning to same channels on different MP clients with EPG enabled while time shifting switched it off so will post if it helps.
    What XML files are you referring to?
    What did you switch off?

would be better to remove this option.
    Which option?

Will post some logs when I can reproduce the next crash but as usual its hard to remove codecs from the equation. Seems always the biggest issue.
    Codecs are a big issue. I recommend the standard Microsoft ones if you're using Windows 7, or the Cyberlink ones for any other operating system. They both tend to just work. Logs would be helpful because I'm finding it tough to understand your description.

I changed the PMT timeout to 3 secs to see if MP is more user friendly..maybe not.... can you detail what this actually is so I can decided how dumb it was to change this....you give us the power to adjust but not the knowledge please provide the foresight to know when we are doing the wrong thing.....and so allow us to guess the reprocusions of our actions before we ask blindly for help.

Please tell the monkeys what the numbers in the boxes mean.. it might make your life easier. If you think our brains would explode with the knowledge then remove the options.

Those options are advanced options. They don't generally have to be touched, but sometimes it is helpful for troubleshooting. They're not going to be removed just because they are complicated. For this and other options that you don't understand you should look at the wiki first. In this case, look here, about two thirds of the way down the page.

If you feel it is necessary for the sake of BBC 3 then I think it is safe to reduce the PMT timeout to 3 seconds, however the consequence may be that other channels that *are* available sometimes fail to start because the PMT has taken longer than usual to arrive...

I might let you in on a little secret: we are working on a way to tell whether a channel is on air. This would save you having to touch the PMT timeout...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom