Direct Input Laziness Problem (1 Viewer)

joel_skold

Portal Member
November 3, 2005
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Foofaraw
Windows Version: XP Pro SP2
CPU Type: AMD64 1.8 GHz
HDD: Maxtor@250, Samsung@160
Memory: 1GB
Motherboard: Nvidia
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: Geforce FX 5500 256 Mb
Video Card Driver: 162.18
Sound Card: C-Media CMI8768
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.1.40
1. TV Card: Terratec 400
1. TV Card Type: worthless and analog
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Soltek Qbic
Cooling: Not enough
Power Supply: Very noisy
Remote: PS2 controller
TV: Samsung 32" (CRT)
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi

Has anyone else experienced problems with the controls being very slow and a bit unpredictable when using direct input? I'm using a PS2 controller connected via an adapter and a fairly long USB cable, although I do not think it is long enough to be causing my problems as the controller works correctly when playing games and such. Perhaps MediaPortal could be more sensitive with this though....

Anyway, help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's only help to give up and buy a remote instead... ;)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello joel_skold,

I don't think that this is a MediaPortal specific issue. I am using Logitech Cordless Action controllers (also PS2 controllers using an adapter). Input works like a charm inside games. Controlling MediaPortal with the controllers is kind of tricky as they are very sensitive to input. I think they are just not meant to be used for such purpose. If I concentrate on controlling MediaPortal it works (though being kind of tricky ;)) but I don't use them as primary control anyway.

I don't even use MediaPortal's DirectInput remote control but an external application I created for using the controllers as custom mappable devices but still have the same responsiveness as by using MediaPortals integrated solution.

-level20peon

PS: give up and buy a remote instead :D

joel_skold

Portal Member
    November 3, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I guess maybe I should give up and buy a remote then, can't really understand why the ps2-controllers won't work correctly and I'm sick of trying to fix it anyways... :)

But I am beginning to believe this is a MediaPortal specific issue, because I can't find it anywhere else. The problem doesn't lie in sensitivity but rather in the lack of it if anything. I can use the controller (even the analog stick) to move about in mediaportal without any bigger difficulty but when I press a button to enter a folder or something like that it has a tendency to double-click, not click at all or sometimes actually click once. Seems to me like the signals aren't handled correctly... :confused:

Well, I'll find some better way to control MP someday... thanks for your answers guys. :D

And Paranoid Delusion: Always glad to give a laugh, unfortunately it's true and I cry over the wasted money every night... :p

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But I am beginning to believe this is a MediaPortal specific issue, because I can't find it anywhere else.

Where have you tested this instead of MediaPortal ? You cannot use the controllers without a decent application. I tested this with my external program in Windows Explorer and am experiencing the same issue there.

-level20peon

joel_skold

Portal Member
    November 3, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've used the controllers for a lot of different games but the most recent ones (and the only ones I'm sure had the exact same system setup) were emulators such as Project 64, Zsnes and some others too... Didn't notice anything at the time but maybe I should run them again and watch more closely for controller misbehavior...

joel_skold

Portal Member
    November 3, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, maybe the buttons are a bit sensitive and have some kind of autotrigger function that keep sending more signals than the program can handle. That would explain why the controls are both jumpy and slow at the same time...

I'll just start using my PSP as a remote via VNC instead. That worked well before and should work now, I just wanted something simpler and I think that train has left a long time ago... :)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You could try EventGhost for mapping your controllers. I used it for my Remote but due to internal configurations that I cannot explain in few sentences I cannot use it for my controllers. Refer to this post of mine to see how to configure it (use the joystick plugin instead of the HID device...).

-level20peon

joel_skold

Portal Member
    November 3, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hmmm, seems to work in the same manner as joytokey, right?
    The problem with that kind of programs is that I would like them to be started only when MP starts or active only when Mp is active (that would be the best) because otherwise it gets in the way when playing games. Especially when using emulators as they have a lot of shortcuts on the F-buttons, just like MP. But I'm gonna keep the post for the day I buy a remote, or get my old one working again. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom