DirectTV SHEF IP Control Plugin for TVServer (2 Viewers)

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am finding that after a power outage, the DirecTV STB will change its ip address and, therefore, MP is unable to change the channels.

Am I correct in this observation? How is this remedied? Thanks, Dave
    Dave,

This has nothing to do with MediaPortal or your STBs. My guess is that your STBs are set to get their IP addresses from DHCP, and if you have a typical home network configuration, your DHCP server is probably on your router and uses a non-persistent lease database, such that when it is power cycled it just starts assigning addresses from on a first come first served basis from its configured scope. My suggestion would be to either configure your STBs with static addresses, or perhaps even better, set up address reservations for them in your DHCP server so they get the same address every time.

Sasha

marirs

Portal Member
    April 29, 2011
    Home Country
    set up a static ip for the receiver, either through the receiver itself or through your router.

edit: or what sjevtic said ;)

Last edited:

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for your suggestion Sasha and Mirirs, it is appreciated.
    Dave[DOUBLEPOST=1378499709][/DOUBLEPOST]This forum has been very helpful in getting my system up and running. Most seems to be working now but there are a couple of issues that I would appreciate feedback on. I am a single seat Colossus here.
    1. Sometimes the IR controller is really sluggish. Exiting and re-starting MP seems to fix this most times but, is this normal? Is there a more reliable control than IR?
    2. I am losing audio sometimes. To bring it back it seems that I need to do a fast backwards and fast forwards and it starts up again as it should. I am attaching a log for this one in the hope that you can find something to correct this.
    Thanks for all your work, Dave

Last edited:

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2007
    Das Hoosier State
    Home Country
    I do like this plugin as it is integrated with TVServer well. Is there any way to make this work with "minor" channels such as 490-1 (HD Rugby)? I have a command line executable that accomplishes this by parsing out the major and minor when a dash appears in the channel number before creating and sending the http request. The goal was to use this executable with IRSS; however, if the plugin can do this as well that would be great, but then the problem is how do you create an analog channel with 490-1 as the "channel" in "Tuning Parameters"? TVServer does not like the dash in that field.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...but then the problem is how do you create an analog channel with 490-1 as the "channel" in "Tuning Parameters"? TVServer does not like the dash in that field.
    Both MediaPortal and TV Server do not support two part channel numbers. That applies from front-end (entering x-y on your remote) right through to back end (storing x-y as a channel number).

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2007
    Das Hoosier State
    Home Country
    Thank you for your input...I was afraid that may be the case with the analog channel number. Well, it looks like back to the original plan with IRSS then as the HD Rugby channel (490-1) is a "must have". Interesting that someone from NZ replied while I'm watching Auckland vs. Northland from a few weeks ago. :).

Maninthewilderness

January 25, 2014
    Home Country
    I'm a newbie to this forum and MediaPortal. I love the idea of Shef, but I can't seem to get it to work. I've input my DTV receiver in the set-up section and it does turn it on when I send the test command. But when I input and map my channels, I can't get it to change my channels. Is there any additional steps to complete? I've used SchedulesDirect as a source for my channels, as well as cleared the list and made my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm using the Colossus capture card on Windows 7.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Maninthewilderness :)

So, to be clear, you're saying that when you change channels in MP, nothing is sent to the set-top-box?

As I understand it, the key things that have to be done are:
    1. Create your channels as analog channels.
    2. Link the channels to your capture source: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/2_Mapping
    3. Configure the SHEF plugin.
    4. Restart the TV Server.
    SchedulesDirect should be able to do step one for you automatically. Configure the correct external video and audio inputs on the advanced settings tab, tick "automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels", and "force guide update on next TvService startup"... and after restarting TV Server you should have all your channels.
    SchedulesDirect can't do step 2, so you have to do that manually. Should only take a minute.
    Step 4 is a key. I think the SHEF plugin won't do its thing unless you do this.

mm
    :)

Maninthewilderness

January 25, 2014
    Home Country
    MM--

Thanks for the quick response. I followed your steps and still channels do not change. I have the SHEF.dll in the plugins section. Is there another file to move? I've uploaded what I did. I really love the idea, I just can't get it to work!!!

Attachments

• Tuning.jpg
      Tuning.jpg
      105.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the quick response.
    No problem. :)

I followed your steps and still channels do not change.
    The channel in your screenshot is set up to receive channel 2 from the STB via HDMI (both video and audio). Is that right?

If so, time for log files I think. :)
    In TV Server configuration, click "open log directory" in the top left corner, zip up the files you find there, and post/attach the zip file here please.

I have the SHEF.dll in the plugins section. Is there another file to move?
    Nope, that's it. As long as you can see and configure the plugin in TV Server configuration you should be good to go. Log files will tell us more...

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom