DirecTV DVR integration (1 Viewer)

enricong

Portal Pro
November 18, 2008
I'm a longtime user of mediaportal but never the live TV function because I had no way to capture HDTV. Now with products like HDPVR2, etc, I'm thinking of adding the live TV function so everything can be better integrated. (I typically just use my DVR and watch what is on there so I often forget about my HTPC and never watch anything stored on there.)

My current DirecTV box can record two shows while allowing me to watch something on my DVR.

If I get a HDPVR2 or equiv, I'm assuming that I will only be able to at most record one tv show and watch something on my DVR (or HTPC). OR, is there some sort of integration where I can have some shows record on the DirecTV DVR and have the HTPC record at the same time.

Basically, by using the mediaportal live tv function, will I gain another recording slot or lose one?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello enricong

Basically, by using the mediaportal live tv function, will I gain another recording slot or lose one?
    You definitely don't gain one.

When you hook up a set top box (STB) to a PC, you only get access to the current output of the box. Internally the box may have more than one tuner and an HDD for recordings... but the PC can only access what the box is currently showing (ie. the channel or recording you're currently watching).

You could try to hook in MP and continue to use the STB for recording... but I expect you'd have trouble as MP won't know when the DVR doesn't have a tuner free, and the DVR won't know when MP is actually using a tuner.

If I get a HDPVR2 or equiv, I'm assuming that I will only be able to at most record one tv show and watch something on my DVR (or HTPC). OR, is there some sort of integration where I can have some shows record on the DirecTV DVR and have the HTPC record at the same time.
    It looks like you already found the SHEF plugin. That is your best hope if something like this were to be possible. Otherwise, it is not possible to have MP record a show at the same time as you watch something on the DVR. You'd end up either watching the recording or recording what you're watching (hope that makes sense). From a MP perspective the constraint is that the DVR only has one output.

I think you'd be better off to stick with the DVR... or get cable with a CableCARD tuner if you can get Verizon FIOS (or a similarly good provider) in your area.

mm

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    I think you'd be better off to stick with the DVR... or get cable with a CableCARD tuner if you can get Verizon FIOS (or a similarly good provider) in your area.
    mm

Thanks. I already use media portal just for playing videos. It's not perfect, alot of times it acts funny so I rarely use it. (I'm still back on 1.0)
    I'm planning to get a HDPVR2 or Colossus because I want to get some stuff off my DVR to free up space so I thought I'd revisit media portal. Since I'll have a capture device, I guess I'll setup the TV server and test it out. If it works out, maybe I'll look into getting another receiver.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It's not perfect, alot of times it acts funny so I rarely use it. (I'm still back on 1.0)
    Version 1.0!!! Wow, gosh. I suggest you upgrade to 1.6 even if you don't change anything else. MP v1.0 was released about 5 years ago. Things have changed quite a lot since then.

I'm planning to get a HDPVR2 or Colossus because I want to get some stuff off my DVR to free up space so I thought I'd revisit media portal. Since I'll have a capture device, I guess I'll setup the TV server and test it out. If it works out, maybe I'll look into getting another receiver.
    Keep in mind that MP doesn't officially support the HD-PVR v2 - only Colossus and HD-PVR v1 since about MP 1.2. There is an MP 1.6 patch here for HD-PVR v2 (Siena) which does work:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...mediaportal-and-me.121130/page-4#post-1053773

My point:
    1. There is no chance to get the Colossus or HD-PVR v1 or 2 working with MP 1.0 (unless you're a developer and wanted to invest time in backporting code).
    2. Don't assume that the HD-PVR v2 will just work. Yes there is a patch, but it may or may not be integrated or continue to be updated.

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    My point:
    1. There is no chance to get the Colossus or HD-PVR v1 or 2 working with MP 1.0 (unless you're a developer and wanted to invest time in backporting code).
    2. Don't assume that the HD-PVR v2 will just work. Yes there is a patch, but it may or may not be integrated or continue to be updated.

Oh, I'll def be upgrading, my OS HD crashed so I'm reinstalling everything. I just mean I had used it in the past so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with MP. I just got tired of updating.
    Yes thanks, I did see that the HDPVR2 isnt officially supported but has a patch. I was still researching to see what kind of bugs it had with MP
    I haven't decided between that or the Colossus yet, I was still trying to figure out the differences.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think the HD-PVR 2 supports up to 1080p inputs whereas the Colossus "only" supports up to 1080i.
    In my observations of log files, the HD-PVR 2 is slower to change channels than the Colossus... but that could change over time.

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    I think the HD-PVR 2 supports up to 1080p inputs whereas the Colossus "only" supports up to 1080i.
    In my observations of log files, the HD-PVR 2 is slower to change channels than the Colossus... but that could change over time.
    Yeah, thats all I could see as the differences as well. I didnt want the HD-PVRv1 because I wanted to beable to use HDMI so I could use less cables.
    Slower to change channels? doesn't the receiver change the channels?

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    So between the HDPVR2 and the Colossus, you'd recc the Colossus? I read on the SageTV board that people were having issues with the Colossus but maybe that's a different beast.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, thats all I could see as the differences as well. I didnt want the HD-PVRv1 because I wanted to beable to use HDMI so I could use less cables.
    The HDMI route is attractive... but remember that it won't work straight out of the box if the HDMI signal is protected with HDCP (I expect DirecTV would be doing this).

Yes, slower to change channels. The receiver does the tuning... but MediaPortal/TV Server also have a role to play. It is difficult to explain without getting into technical details which I'm not sure that I'd be able to explain well.

So between the HDPVR2 and the Colossus, you'd recc the Colossus? I read on the SageTV board that people were having issues with the Colossus but maybe that's a different beast.
    I've never owned either of them... or even the HD-PVR 1, so I think it would be unwise for me to make a recommendation. People that have used these products day in day out are going to know about the quirks, limitations, unreliabilities etc. that I could never tell you about...

enricong

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2008
    The HDMI route is attractive... but remember that it won't work straight out of the box if the HDMI signal is protected with HDCP (I expect DirecTV would be doing this).

Yes, slower to change channels. The receiver does the tuning... but MediaPortal/TV Server also have a role to play. It is difficult to explain without getting into technical details which I'm not sure that I'd be able to explain well.

I've never owned either of them... or even the HD-PVR 1, so I think it would be unwise for me to make a recommendation. People that have used these products day in day out are going to know about the quirks, limitations, unreliabilities etc. that I could never tell you about...

Yeah, I do have an HDCP stripper so thats not an issue. I figure with HDMI, it would make capturing audio better since its one the same line.

As I can tell, MP/TV Server sends commands to change channels when required (ie DirecTV IP interface) which goes to the receiver to change the channel. Then MP commands the capture card to start capturing. As far as I can tell, the capture device wouldn't need to be aware of channel changes as well. That is why I was confused why a different capture device would affect chaning channels.

Thanks, I've found people comparing HDPVR1 to Colossus but not much comparing to HDPVR2 in my searches. Maybe I'll post a thread asking for comparisons. I was trying to avoid posting to many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom