Disable internet lookups for cover art? (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did you know that often Windows Media Player will overwrite your album art with a lower resolution version, i think it often overwrites the folder.jpg, but i think embedded art is safe.
    Yes.... that is why I don't use WMP :p

I have looked through the code a fair bit and in essence the problem is that there are folders in the thumbs directory for Artists and Albums. Both last.fm and music plugins use the same folders. There does appear to be some checking in the code that the new picture is better than the last one but I am not sure that is working...

What this means is that if you have the option left as enabled then last.fm (and music) can replace your thumbs. I think there may be a bug with the album art anyway as it looks like it may download a 120x120 thumb and then expand this to 500x500 which is why it can look so bad...

Unfortunately I can not really see a simple solution to this. There is simply a swtich in the music code based on this flag which if it is not disabled calls some code in the AudioScrobblerUtils class. last.fm however just makes the calls and the checking is done within the actual call to get thumbs....

Ideally a new tickbox for last.fm and music would be the ideal solution but we can not just add a new config option as they share the same thumb directories... Even if they didn't, you would want last.fm to use any ones that were already downloaded and then cache a tmp set of images for now-playing... so it starts to get messy :mad:

The other option would be to not let dynamic content overwrite local content (ie. last.fm could not replace local tagged or folder.jpg). This however can't be done as all thumbs are just stored as thumbs in the directory and once it gets there you do not know where it came from...

I am going to think about this some more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom