Disk format & Fragmentation (1 Viewer)

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    That's what I never understood with Diskeeper/windows defrag. That fact that you actually have to defrag the drive like 5 times in a row to get some decent results (if you start off with a fragmented disc).

So yeah, you'll need to run it often to keep the fragmentation low.

Whatever happend to Norton Speed Disk anyways... it used to be.. uhm.. good.?

Hi,
    With TVE3 you can prevent this if you open MediaPortal TV Server -> Plugins -> Power Scheduler -> Process & select the process that can prevent Susp/hib, make sure that it's not a all time running process ;)

Regards
    Roy

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have tried JKDefrag and it seems to work with little problem. Plus the commandline version is nice to setup in a scheduler.

Hair

Portal Member
    October 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    After using JKDefrag for a while now I just can conclude one thing. This works wonders! But setting up TV-server 3... Well, I'll might do it another time! It was not that simple to do...

Thanks for the tip about JKDefrag!

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    i have my 250GB disk split into 2 partitions. 10gb for XP install and the other 210gb for files. the larger partition has the largest configurable cluster size enabled. I have been running my MP box for many months now, and there is minimal fragmentation.

I have the same setup: one 250Gb drive with 2 partitions - a 10Gb volume for OS, MP, and any other applications, and the remaining volume for media. I would recommend against adjusting your cluster size though if you store more than just large videos on your media volume - I store pictures and MP3's as well, which are quite small, and having an excessive cluster size will reduce performance as well as increase the size on disk of these items.

But today, if you use MP to hibernate after recording. If you wake up the PC with another program, woun't MP set it to hibernate again?

I've just discovered that my 177GB partition was heavily fragmented, according to Diskeeper. It would be great to have MP waking up the machine and do maintainance (ie defrag and EPG update) at regular intervals.

There's no need for MP to wake the machine up to do the job, since its not MP's responsibility to manage the underlying operating system. :)

I use the built in windows task scheduler and run disk defrag on both volumes once every week early in the morning. the machine wakes up and runs the defrag. Powerscheduler is set to shut down the HTPC after 5 minutes of inactivity, and since a defrag is done once a week, the defrag completes very quickly. It's only the first or second time running a defrag that it takes forever since the disk is so fragmented to begin with. each run after that should go quite fast.

Hair

Portal Member
    October 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well, I might have to agree to what you say gxtracker. I'm not a wizard and "found" ;-) that sceduled tasks can wake up the machine... So MP surely does not need to have that functionality at all.

Well, I also found it somewhat "troublesome" to install TVE3...

But my machine is quite slow, just defragging one file (about 2GB) takes a couple of minutes. After using the machine, recording programs and deleting old ones, a defrag will take almost an hour! At least if I do it once a week (or so) as I do now. I only have an 1800+ AMD and a cople of old disks, sizing about 2x120, 160 and 400GB. The smaller disks takes their time to defrag! So I do need something to keep my machine awake if it would be done in an automatic schedule! I think I'll wait for a stable release of TVE3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom