Do I need a heatsink for this fan? (1 Viewer)

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
The Zalman CNPS 7700 is an integrated fan/heatsink, meaning that no additional parts are needed. This is a good, although large cooler. If you want a simple solution it is nice since it is delivered with the fanmate, allowing you to adjust fan speed without too much hassle.

I think that you will be satisfied with this cooler provided that you have room for it. There are other solutions out there that may cool even better with somewhat less noise.

www.silentpcreview.com

regards
Knut Inge

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Thanks for your help, once again, kutinh. Now I know what sort of thing I need to be looking for, I'll widen my search. I was unsure whether I would need a big heatsink, or a small one, or a heat pipe, etc.

Nemulate, I am only making sure I don't waste loads of money, that I can ill afford. Water-cooling, heat pipes, etc. didn't exist when I last built a PC. (I should stick to ASP.NET, its the bit of IT that I'm good at!)

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
Of course I understand, no one wants to buy something they don't need/want. Good to see we're both Island people but bit different islands! :lol:

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Lol.

People keep confusing our islands, too. I moved here a year ago and everyone was asking me why I chose to move down south (from Manchester). I think you should have a revolution and devolve yourselves as a tax haven. Don't think you're going to get VAT off though, we still pay that for some reason. (More expense!)

Anyway, I digress!

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
No tax haven, YET! Some people even think they need a passport to visit us! But yes your right, we digress!

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I am using a thermalright XP120 heatpiped sink together with a PAPST 4412F2GLL 120x120x25 mm fan, running at 5Volts (very low rpm around 8-900).

xp120_news.jpg

catimg_0F44D967B59119C7_x130_y130.jpg

The case fans are those supplied with my lc16m case, softwarecontrolled so that they will stop completely if the temperature allows it. I have also turned my PSU so that its 140mm fan will suck air out of the case (I have no control of its speed).

regards
Knut Inge

Program.X

Portal Pro
October 25, 2005
Ramsey, Isle of Man
Knutinh,

I have found a distinct lack of information with regards socket compatibility with silentpcreview. I would have thought you could select your review by giving it your board type and getting it to display relevant products. Some very impressive products seem to be only compatible with Socket 478.

Anyways, I do like the look of yours. I can't seemt o find it on any of my suppliers (dabs, microdirect (if I have to), (scan also if i have to) or insight. Could you please advise where you got it?

Many thanks for all your help.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
The menus on their page is also less than user friendly.

However, if you ask a question in their forums, you will get response from people that spend a lot of time tweaking for cool and noise-free operation.

The XP120 is available from my supplier with a adapter for s775 included, or you may purchase the adapter separately if you have the general version.

They also have the SI120 with similar performance that fits all p4 and k8 processors including the s775

http://www.thermalright.com/a_news/main_news_si120.htm

regards
Knut

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom