Do I need MP2 Server? (1 Viewer)

xciso

January 9, 2016
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi. My first post here.
I am going to setup 3 htpc machines at home. I have before looked at Kodi/Xbmc, but I didnt like the GUI, then I found MP and like it alot after a few test.

I started to install MP1 to try, but now i thinking if MP2 will be better. What are you running MP1 or MP2, which one would be best for new installation.

I will do like this.
I have 2 Asus EEE B202 (Atom N270 1.6Ghz, 2gb memory, 120gb SSD drive, and in both I have also installed Broadcom Crystal HD decoder, which work good with MPC-HC)
This 2 I will use only as small htpc players, and this will be running 24/7 as they only use about 20w.

Then I have a bigger htpc, (nr3), this it a AMD quadcore 9850, with 4gb memory and GTX460 graphic, and ofcurse SSD drive.
This will be used in my livingroom when I am there, so this will not be running 24/7 as this take alot more watt.

Then I have a small little Asus EEE 701 (900mhz 1-core, 2gb memory, 32gb SD-card, and 4gb SSD drive)
This will be rebuild to a NAS, For this I will use "Openmediavault", based on Debian. Why Linux? Yeah its solid, and dont use so much cpu.

What will be best for me? Use MP1 at all clients so I never need "MP Server"? Or can I use MP2 whitout server? If I need server, where should I put it? I will not install it at my regular desktop machine.

Thanks.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Depends on your way to use TV in MP... For TV usage you need to have at least one of those:
    MP1 TV Server or MP2 Server.
    Without this you can not watch TV inside MP.

The MP2- Server is the central part of an infrastructure. It stores all Metadata and all watched status of all your media. Without this you only can use MP2 on locally stored media and you are loosing most of the advantages MP2 has. If you go the MP2 way you better install the MP2 server on one of your 24/7 machines. Did not matter which one...

By the way, MP1 needs more CPU power and I doubt you will be happy with MP1 on an Atom N270. This is way to weak for an MP1 Client, im sure. It even will be close to the edge for an MP2 client that needs lot less cpu power... Those N270 systems are outdated and be better replaced by anything faster and less energy consuming like quad core TV sticks or similar (around 100$ about 5-8 watts in total)...

xciso

January 9, 2016
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi. I have tested MP1, and ofcurse its not superfast, but I have get it to work with my CrystalHD card, so its only take about 15-20& cpu.
    Sadly I cant get MP2 to work. When I start a movie the time going on, but the screen is black.

In MP1 it was so many setup tools, but I cant find so many in MP2. Just which codec to use. There I have set Broadcom CrystalHD, but it still dosnt work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom