Airshark

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2007
    Baden- Württemberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Do I say goodbye to MP?

Dont know what u do, but i need maximum 2 hours and with good hardware everything is running fine :)

austio

May 2, 2010
    Montana!
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just for the sake of sounding off; I've invested about 12 hours getting MP and the new TV server running on two clean installs of XP SP3. I found that codecs were my biggest problem getting things to work. Granted, I am also a "tweaker", So I quickly broke my TV server box by editing the registry and trying to remove dlls. So now I need to reinstall everything again, and the Win Xp disk doesn't read. Frustrating? Yes, but I won't give up yet on this amazing software.

I am happy so far, and I am not even done...

This might be because this is the first setup I have done on hardware worthy of running MP, so I am loving the results.

I only have a few plugins and tweaks set so far, and even with the time commitment, I am excited about all the new features available and the amount of development that is alive and well all over the forums.

So, even if you are an old timer, try to look at it with new eyes and give it some time. You'll be hard pressed to find better looking software out there, and probably not near as many custom extensions (although, yes, this is sometimes seen as a detractor).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I had an older PC than you, AMD 1800 CPU, and i noticed a huge difference from going from 512mb -> 1024mb of ram in win xp, and this is just surfing the net only. Your system specs are actually ok if you upgrade your ram, I would recommend going for 2gb over 1gb as the price difference is probably not much and then you can also use Win7. After the ram upgrade you should notice a HUGE difference in performance. Your PC should be fine for all SD related content and SD live TV. If you use coreavc it *might* even play 720P. If you upgrade video to a good dxva card, then you will be able to play dxva complaint 720P/1080P/1080i videos and HDTV no problem.

After 2gb ram and a good dxva complaint video card the only thing you will struggle with is non dxva complaint hd material.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Best advice I saw in there is to re-do in clear stages, with a system backup after each point. My problem always seems to be that I am doing 3 things at once - downloading multiple updates etc etc, so when things go pear shaped, I slap my head and curse my impatience!

Give it another go - it's worth it.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Movie's don't play or MP hanging when stopping the movie.
    Very slow loading of a movie, never experienced this before.

This looks like codecs issue...
    Did you tryed to open your vides in graphstudio (to eliminate MePo)? Does they play fine here? Did you tryed SAF5?

BTW, you should definitelly get better GPU...

ebk71

Portal Member
    May 16, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just a quick update, also to say I appreciate all the feedback. I deinstalled the codecs which I installed according the MP setup and installed SAF5.
    That made the difference, video is loaded as usual and played without problems. I will play a bit more and have seen how I want it to be, make a new install, since this one is not "clean" anymore.

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Do I say goodbye to MP?

Good decision, but I would suggest the procedure of kiwijunglist, expanded by one step (takes more time for the moment, but makes it much easier to go back if you - or Bill Gates or MP - made a mistake; did save a lot of time for me:

Clean Format XP SP3
    System backup
    Install all drivers
    System Backup
    ---Install windows updates
    ---System backup
    Install MP1.1 Final
    System Backup
    Install latest SAF5.X
    System Backup
    [/B]
    Good luck
    Alfred

ebk71

Portal Member
    May 16, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For when somebody reads this, I would like to give an update.
    I'm totally back at MP. Last week I got a subscription on digital tv(IPTV, XMSnet, glashart).Configured the dvb-ip cards in mp to receive the iptv streams. My system is about 5 to 6 years old but I tested succesfully
    with recording 3 streams en watching a 4th. Just confugered mp client on my netbook and can watch wireless tv streams from mp server.

My household is going to be totally mepo'd!

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Nice update :)

My IPTV is encrypted wo smartcard usage, so I'll never be as lucky as you :D

ebk71

Portal Member
    May 16, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    About 2 and a half years later after I started this thread, the time has come to leave MePo for the moment. I used MePo for something like 8 years! on the same pc, although one MoBo died on me and changed it for the same type, and a few months ago the powersupply died. Only upgraded the Videocard a while ago. Did come from DVB-C and used IP-TV for a period I don't recall.
    Why I'm leaving MePo? This 8 year old PC had to be replaced, and a new HTPC as the way I wanted would cost me around € 400,- I decided to switch provider and get a PVR for € 49,- and a mede8er mediaplayer for € 100,- (Allready using a NAS, so this is for me an ideal combination)
    Probably I will miss some tinkering with MePo, but still can change some things on the mede8er.

Rests me to:

THANK YOU COMMUNITY AND ABOVE ALL THE DEVELOPERS!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom