Do we really need Packed Textures? (1 Viewer)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Has anyone noted a drop in performance when disabling packed textures and viewing multiple pictures.
    I'm using MP 1.0 Final with BeazleWide.
    I have a picture folder with 350 jpegs, average size = 1.5mb each, resolution varies, most are 1440x1080 resolution
    If using your packed textures fix, then scroll speed is slow, and sometimes pictures come up blank (black screen) if i preview to many too quickly.
    I have another folder with only about 150 pictures, this is slightly better but still slower.
    If I go back to use packed textures, things are a lot snappier and I no longer have problems of jpegs sometimes showing up black.

Psssst! Don't tell the obvious ;)

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This ugly hack was meant for those that couldn't use MP at all. If large pictures came up on their 64MB GPU, a micro-second slower than if they somehow changed GPU to a stronger one, they didn't care. Now I'm not sure if this hack is needed anymore, at least not for me in my 128MB GPU laptop. You've done good rtv! MP doesn't feel so heavy anymore.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    .. Now I'm not sure if this hack is needed anymore, at least not for me in my 128MB GPU laptop. You've done good rtv! MP doesn't feel so heavy anymore.

I agree - before changing to a 256MB card recently I had noticed that 1.0.2 run quite nicely without the hack on my 128MB card. The "ugly hack" :D was handy for a while there though and for people running older versions of MP it might still be of use...

citizenkeys

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    yeah... but for those of us looking for a low-cost dedicated media center solution, buying nicer hardware can't always be the option.

my only complaint about mediaportal's graphics are that they're way slow when mediaportal doesn't have the focus.

and that's on a dual-core system, with 1GB of memory, with mediaportal running 'high priority'.

i know that's by design, but there's gotta be a way to override that.

9fps milkdrop visuals just ain't happening.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Yes there is, just open the Visual Studio and change the code. If I remember correctly the non-foreground FPS limit is done in MediaPortal.cs (or D3Dapp.cs).

Swede

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    West Coast Archipelago
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Well, yes, I'm all for more settings in the advanced section. If only the default value is shown, and a good explanation to what you are setting.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Yes there is, just open the Visual Studio and change the code. If I remember correctly the non-foreground FPS limit is done in MediaPortal.cs (or D3Dapp.cs).

Yep d3dapp.cs
    I like how MP doesn't use CPU cycles while playing Blu-Ray :)

That's why the Arcsoft player plugin is disabling the rendering engine all together, not just slowing down the rendering :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom