Does a WinTV PVR 350 require an internal soundcard? (1 Viewer)

fb_de

October 5, 2005
I can't find this information anywhere. I'm having an external soundcard solution, so i wonder if i would still be able to operate an WinTV PVR 350?

The reason I'm asking is that many TV cards need to connect to an internal soundcard via an audio cable - this won't work with an external sound solution obviously...

thanks,
Frank

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,

AFAIK, no. The PVR350 sends the audio & video data in MPEG2 format to the program you're viewing TV with. The MPEG2 audio & video is then decoded by the software MPEG2 decoder you've specified or installed. Then, the uncompressed audio and video is send to your external audio device and graphics card respectively.

Indeed, some cheap (non-PVR) TV cards require you to route the audio output to the line input of your soundcard. Please understand that wether you have an internal or external soundcard or not doesn't really matter. This construction works with both internal and external audio solutions.

BTW, If I'm not mistaken the PVR350 also has a hardware MPEG2 decoder onboard and a video output, but can't be used by most software (at least not with MediaPortal).

Kind regards,
    Michel

csberto

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2004
    Tilburg, the Netherlands
    scoop said:
    Hi,
    BTW, If I'm not mistaken the PVR350 also has a hardware MPEG2 decoder onboard and a video output, but can't be used by most software (at least not with MediaPortal).

Kind regards,
    Michel
    Yes you're right, the PVR350 has a hardware MPEG2 decoder onboard, but no you're not right when you mean that the PVR350 can't be used with MediaPortal. I use it with MediaPortal.

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    csberto said:
    Yes you're right, the PVR350 has a hardware MPEG2 decoder onboard, but no you're not right when you mean that the PVR350 can't be used with MediaPortal. I use it with MediaPortal.
    I wasn't saying the PVR350 doesn't work with MediaPortal, I said the video out part of the PVR350 (and thus the hardware MPEG2 decoder part) cannot be used with MediaPortal. At least, that's what I meant... ;)

Kind regards,
    Michel

csberto

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2004
    Tilburg, the Netherlands
    scoop said:
    Hi,
    csberto said:
    I wasn't saying the PVR350 doesn't work with MediaPortal, I said the video out part of the PVR350 (and thus the hardware MPEG2 decoder part) cannot be used with MediaPortal. At least, that's what I meant... ;)

Kind regards,
    Michel
    OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom