Does anybody have MP working without any problems? (2 Viewers)

cinemasid

Portal Member
February 3, 2006
stable? reliable?

i have tried to run media portal on my system but it glitches and completely shuts down when using msn messenger and also plalists it used to but now i have imported a different list. so far these are the main problems i have found but then i can't get my dvd configured and don't have a tv card to test that...

anyone else havin the same problems????

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: stable? reliable?

cinemasid said:
    i have tried to run media portal on my system but it glitches and completely shuts down when using msn messenger and also plalists it used to but now i have imported a different list. so far these are the main problems i have found but then i can't get my dvd configured and don't have a tv card to test that...

anyone else havin the same problems????

Not the right place to post this... Messenger plugin is a little out of date, and I'm not sure it ever functioned correctly in the first place. Please post in a support section.

nbradford

Portal Member
    January 16, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    I use MP on a standard CRT telly, and it is pretty good (WAF 7/10). One thing that happens every now and then is several channels will just refuse to tune when switching channels. Just a black screen. I can go back to the guide ok and tune to another channel and watch that to my hearts content, and sometimes (with enough attempts) Ill be able to get to the channel I wanted in the first place. I have two Ultraview (Dvico) DVB cards, and it happens even if I configure MP to use only one card. Anyone else seeing this? (It also appears to happen much more regularly with CVS's - Im currently on 2.0 rc2 for that reason)

The only other occasionaly glitch I have is sound stuttering or not playing at all when unpausing live tv. A repause/unpause will fix this.

Other than that this is pretty much a stable and regularly used installation. (I even caught my wife watching the cricket on it the other day in preference to 'normal' tv so she could have widescreen ;) )

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    nbradford said:
    One thing that happens every now and then is several channels will just refuse to tune when switching channels.
    Sounds like you might be hitting this problem, where Autotune gets the wrong frequencies for several of our channels.... :(

Try the modifications to the dvbt.xml file and see if that fixes your channel changing problem.... :)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm using 0.1.3.0 since it was released. I runs 24/7 in my HTPC recording shows, watching TV, playing movies and DVDs, etc. And I don't reboot my PC; long ago I've set it to hibernate instead (so it will wake up to do the recordings). But it's not free of bugs. Sometimes it will crash to desktop (most likely a few minutes after you start MP and watch TV), and once it crashed during a recording (one recording lost after the hundreds it has done since I set up everything isn't that much -but still annoying to miss that episode-).

Overall I'm happy with it. My wife uses it as well and the issues are small. I've tried other commercial software with worse bugs, and less features.

ie

Portal Member
    February 6, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just started...

I have just started with MP, version 0.2RC2, and have had my fair share of problems. (Still have.)

I have a problem that is hard to track as the PC freezes (often still with a tone in the speakers). This happens after a few minutes after starting MP or sometimes an hour. (Need to use the big Power-button to restart it.) I'm not sure it's the MP but I think the problems started with it, but after that it can freeze also using WINTV2000. Does MP do anything with the TV-card or its drivers?

I have a Hauppauge HVR-1300 card since a few weeks and havn't found any newer drivers for it, so I use the drivers included in the package.

Also MP has started to behave strange when autotuning the analog channels. It scans channel 4 to 12 then skips the rest.

Maybe I should try ver 0.1.3 instead?

Anyone having experience with the HVR-1300-card?

/Ingvar

nbradford

Portal Member
    January 16, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Taipan - I tried your suggestion last weekend on vanilla 0.2 RC2 - retuned all the channels, and so far havent had a tune fail through a whole week of usage! (Fingers crossed!). Ill stick the latest CVS on this weekend and see if the problem is gone - if so - thanks heaps!

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
    February 7, 2006
    Halmstad
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Right now I have two HTPC running with mediaportal, PC without a TV-tuner card in the kitchen and my Laptop. All is working without much problem, though I have had som hard time figuring out what version of 0.2 to use.

Currently the most stable one for my Hauppauge cards is the 0.2RC2 01-21-2006 CVS, no big crashes or freeezes so far... fingers crossed...

The WAF is currently 6/10 according to my girlfriend, but I feel that everything works right now, but she does not trust me??? Why can't they ever do that??? Perhaps because everything works and then suddenly everything crashes in the middle of her favorite show and the WAF drops to 0/10 again..... :eek:

Such is life. :wink:

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    Use MP on a 32" CRT with the box in the basement. No serious trouble in normal usage but messing around I can usually manage to crash it! This I'm sure is more to do with the fragile state of some of my components rather than the MP software. The wife uses it to record some of her shows, but pretty much its my domain, the grandkid is not let anywhere near the remote control until I can figure out how to disable the kill button on the firefly remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom