Does DVB-EPG override XMTV ?? (1 Viewer)

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    i have a simple question. for longterm sheduled recordings it is pretty neccessary to use a 14 days guide (i use webEPG). But the descriptions transmitted via the normal (i guess 2-day) EPG comes with much more detail imho (except those channel lacking support for EPG of course)

i questioned myself if mediaportal uses the xmltv-file but overrides this, when possible/available, with the DVB-EPG. [or if not, if something like this would be possible)

i think i've read something like that in the forum but i can't find it anymore.

btw, i'm using DVB-S

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    smnnekho

Actually if your using webepg or any xmltv download, you might as well untick the download epg by dvb in setup, Not sure whether things have changed, but TVGuide import used to happen on first entering TV\Guide,
    But found the last time I installed MP cleanly, including setting up webepg again, and downloading new listings, by the time MP had loaded and i had gone into tvguide, it had already imported everything.
    Only a thought but if import of file done automatically, surely it would overwrite DVBepg anyway :?

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is a relevant question which has been asked before, but no one has answered.

My guess is its problematic to enable both, what happens for example when the DVB-EPG overwrites and entry you were planning to record?

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    well this doesnt resolve in problems for me so far. i just noticed that sometimes when i'm on a channel it stutters shortly and than i have very detailled information which was definitly not part of the webepg as far as i'm concerned.

but you're right, if it slightly differs in the name of the show than recording could be a problem... this would be very difficult to test though, would be useful if there's somebody out there who has some experience.

bradsjm

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2005
    New York City, USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Based on the code right now I find it difficult to see how the DVB information will overwrite the existing XMLTV EPG data if you have it for the simple reason that the UpdateProgram() method has the update functionality commented out. So, if it finds existing program information it will not delete and replace it. However, if there is no show information for that time period on that channel then it will add the new program information to the database.

As for recordings, someone else might be able to help here. I know that the recordings have an ID as the key, not the name, however, I could see that IF the update was working a DVB EPG program would have a different ID than an XMLTV imported program and this might (I think) cause the recording to be skipped. I really need to take a closer look at that code however.

Bottom line, I think to have EPG and XMLTV both active and have update work and make sure that recordings don't get lost will likely require some additional coding work.

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    that's a risk i wouldn't want to take, thx for your answer! i will uncheck the epg via dvb in configuration, just to be sure until it's confirmed.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But I would prefer to have a configurable option about who should overwrite. My setup gets more and better information from the web than from DVB, but does not grab for all channels.

So Please do not overwrite allways, let the user decide!

P.S.: I Wrote my own converter from tvtoday database to MP. I am not sure if I can publish it, because of the legal situation of grabbing their information...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom