Does Medial Portal have a inbuilt love of football. (1 Viewer)

akayani

Portal Pro
August 8, 2015
Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
So I have a complex computer with and AMD RAID system which has some weird habits. I had to turn off the RAID controller to make the disks accessible to get some serious online help. The problem is when I do that the boot drive become unbootable even after the RAID controller is switched back on. Hence I've ended up booting from a backup of the drive that is months old which is why this schedule went unnoticed.

When I say 'Skins' what I mean is that the most basic skin to the most advanced skin all follow the same menu structure and other code.

The basic layout of the menus that all shins inherit I'm giving 5/10.

That's where the usability issues come from. I use the simple default skin.

What I see in this program is a lot of effort to add features and skins but it is undermined by a menu system and left right mouse actions than needed a lot more review before anything was build on top of them. Morpheus has a PDF of some of the issues where I claim this structure fails.

This issue of no warning when all the tuners are used is another interface issue to add to that list.

There aren't that many things in that PDF but they are unlikely to be the sort of thing that can be resolved in the current version without breaking themes. The worst example is have to dig through menus to go between full screen and windowed mode.

What you need is an intense review of all the usability issue (which aren't that many) and a plan for version 3. I did have a good look at the code but C# isn't my language I can't be very helpful at that. (Because of this now 9 month RAID drama I'm seriously behind with my own work.) I am happy to test and give feedback.

As I have said to Morpheus, I think the app is on the edge of being something great and with the demise of Windows Media Center it is a much needed application.

If I were the developers this is what I would do taking into account the death of WMC and the garbage that is the competition...

1. Develop a list for MP3 and make a document
2. Work out the time required to do those items.
3. Start a crowd source funding program.
4. Put a bounty on each item and split the cash from the funding between those items.

Like everything 95% right is hard work and to get to that last 5% is a right effort. That 5% is right up the curve of a what is a logarithmic effort.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I see in this program is a lot of effort to add features and skins but it is undermined by a menu system and left right mouse actions than needed a lot more review before anything was build on top of them.
    Here I partly agree, it can be improved.

If I were the developers this is what I would do taking into account the death of WMC and the garbage that is the competition...

1. Develop a list for MP3 and make a document
    2. Work out the time required to do those items.
    3. Start a crowd source funding program.
    4. Put a bounty on each item and split the cash from the funding between those items.

Like everything 95% right is hard work and to get to that last 5% is a right effort. That 5% is right up the curve of a what is a logarithmic effort.
    Here I completely disagree. We don't need a MP3 and we don't need a funding program. MP is and should be open source. MP3 would completely fail, why devloping a 3rd version, if already many devlopers remain with the 1st version? The powers should be put on MP2 to make it mature.
    A wmc skin is in development, so critics are taken into account. The new skin is not based on the same menu structure!

akayani

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2015
    Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Money/payments don't change a software licence. It just simulates activity. That's my reaction to previously being told that the developers lacked time and were progressing slowly. The only negative I see in that is the bother of doing it. On a positive there is publicity generated. The point is that there is a window since WMC was junked and from what I could see the viable replacements other than MPx were rough as guts, if they worked at all. Those windows in product cycles never last. There is always someone leap-frogging another. No doubt there been a discussion about it before my mention, it is hardly an original idea. Sounds like it by your definite response.

On versioning... it's been over a year since MP2. What your saying is happening is sounding good enough to call it a version. You do that to send a message to customers of something new. Open Source versioning is generally more honest than that of commercial software. If we are talking all the stuff I've noted and what I seen discussed then that is a version.

Listen, ignore, act or forget... don't care personally. I ask for lots of feedback on projects and ignore plenty of it. Don't expect anyone to do anything other than that.

You guy know what your skills are and how you can value add if that is what you want to do. I wouldn't deploy MP2 to clients I support that are still using WMC. They wouldn't cope.

Example...

Hi Yani, not sure what a URL is. We did print the pages off on my computer which has file and print and print preview. Janice's didn't have print preview, only print, which didn't work. Thanks. Regards, John.

I have to do screen grabs so they can find the menu in Chrome. That's the real target audience. What works for them, works for everyone.

Yani

&& Thanks for the toggle tip much appreciated.

akayani

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2015
    Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    On unbugs...

I usually start recording -7 minutes early.

That -7 minutes doesn't show on the program display (red colour) fair enough. Would it be possible to actual check if the program had started being recorded and provide a "watch from start" rather than assume no program starts being recorded via the absolute time of the program.

Does that make sense?

Yani

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom