Dropped Frames every 100 seconds (1 Viewer)

Jago

Portal Member
September 18, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi again,

I also tested some more and looked into the possibility that the problem could be caused by Moving Pictures. I had Version 1.5.1 of Moving Pictures running and switched back to 1.4.2 - during my first test the dropped frames were gone...

I really don't understand why Moving Pictures is now suddenly the problem...my previous tests indicated TV-Series as the root cause. Maybe there is some interaction between the plugins or they try to use the same resources at the same time - who knows...

I will monitor if the dropped frames are really gone this weekend. If I can confirm that they are gone for good I will report the problem to the developer of Moving Pictures.

Jago

Portal Member
September 18, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Yes, it's still the E350.
I tried the same thing on another computer (also an E350), but here the switch to Moving Pictures 1.4.2 didn't solve the problem.

Either TV-Series or Moving Pictiures is causing the problem. Without plugins the videoplayback is flawless.

You repeatedly say that the E350 is too weak. If its really too weak, then it is only too weak for the plugins. I admit, I still don't understand why there is any inflluence from the plugins during videoplayback...but so be it.

So how can I test/proof that it is really too weak? CPU load never reaches 100% in the task manager. If the CPU is too weak I should somehow be able to measure it. I don't want to invest money into new hardware before I am not completely sure that it is the CPU which causes the problem.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    E350 = 2 parts

Part #1 = super fast GPU, infact it is capable of decoding 2x 1080p streams
    Part #2 = weak CPU

The problem is that for the GPU to work, it relies on the CPU to feed it with the data it needs. The CPU in turn relies on the harddisk+controller or network-storage+network-controller to obtain the data. The higher the amount of data that needs to be transferred, the bigger the risk of stutter caused by interrupts, especially if any of the parts inbetween has issues (weakest link breaks the chain).

Another problem is that the CPU is also required a lot to help with making sense of the video. For Blu-Ray for example it has to decode the security part, and any software based decoder also puts an additional load on the CPU. That is why even a super fast CPU fails if you try to software decode a high-bitrate 1080p video. This is why DXVA is so popular, because it offloads all the video decoding onto the GPU where it belongs and which the E350 can do easaly.

The problem you got now is that the 'updated' versions of MediaPortal, Moving-Pictures and/or MP-TVSeries are adding just enough additional load onto the CPU or extra interruptions that the CPU is unable to keep up with the GPU need for a constant feed of data to keep the video from stuttering. It might not even be the CPU itself, but the BIOS, driver or software configuration. Use the following tool for example to check if your mainboard and/or a driver is causing latency issues:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I have fixed weird stutter problems by fixing the underlying latency issues first. In one case it meant replacing the mainboard, because it was a design flaw by the manufactor.

Jago

Portal Member
    September 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi again,

bottom line for me is that something changed and Mediaportal is not running smoothly anymore. I am tired of trying and looking for ways to fix this. I really like Mediaportal, but I think I will switch to XBMC where I don't have any problems with video playback.

I will still have a look at future releases of Mediaportal. Maybe this behavior will be fixed or magically go away somehow.

Cheers,
    Jago

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I would suggest OpenELEC then, it is an optimized version of XBMC specifically designed for underpowered CPUs such as the E-350.

Maybe in the future when you replace those with more powerful low-power/no-fan solutions such as the Intel NUCs or AMD Jaguar, then you can look at MediaPortal again.

http://openelec.tv/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom