DTS/AC3 Audio Stopping Videos (1 Viewer)

PhilUK

Portal Member
March 27, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: Windows 7
HTPC : Acer Revo 3600
TV: Panasonic TX-P42VT20
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi all,

Having moved from SAF v4 beta to the v8 k-lite codecs recently to allow non-stuttering 1080p video, I had issues in Online videos with really poor quality and stuttering streams. I posted in the online videos forum and moved from k-lite to the most recent SAF v6.0.3 pack to try and prevent this.

As a result, OnlineVideos now all play perfectly! No stuttering though the buffering behaves more strangely than it used to (appears much more rapid though not actually buffering as far as it shows).

However, now whenever I play a video file (1080p/720p/xvid etc) with DTS or AC3 audio, MP shows a black screen then the video immediately ends and is marked as watched in MP. I have tried playing with the codecs in MP settings and in LAV Audio/Splitter settings with no luck at all.

I am at a loss now :(

I have attached my evr log though I can't really see a lot in it (though I am certainly no expert...).

Thanks for any help.
Cheers!
Phil

PhilUK

Portal Member
March 27, 2010
Home Country
Ok, I think I did enable it. Is there any way to disable it without uninstalling and reinstalling SAF?

Why would enabling passthrough cause this issue?

Thanks
Phil

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Ok, I think I did enable it. Is there any way to disable it without uninstalling and reinstalling SAF?

Why would enabling passthrough cause this issue?

Thanks
Phil

You have HTPC-TV connection by HDMI, right? Passthrough mean HTPC sending AC3/DTS as it is, without decompresion, but TV cannot understand it from HDMI source. So audio renderer refusing connection.
You need AV reciever for that. SAF told you that durning install and display a warning too.

Dont worry, just reinstall SAF and this time dont enable audio passthrough.

PhilUK

Portal Member
March 27, 2010
Home Country
Fantastic,

Re-installed and all working fine now. Thanks for the advice!

Still confused as to why the renderer will not send it to the TV though in passthrough mode though. AFAIK, the TV automatically takes the HDMI audio, downconverts it to 2.0 stereo and outputs over optical to my (old and decrepid) receiver. At least that what it does for my XBox. (Maybe the xbox also sends a non-bitstream audio stream as well)?

Anyway, not important as only wanted to get it working! Thanks so much!

Cheers
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom