DTV and squeezebox don't play nice. (1 Viewer)

givendale

Portal Member
June 6, 2007
Home Country
Hi All,

Picture this, you spend hours in an unheated room of the house setting up the HTPC so it is a simple as possible to use and works just how you want it to.

You then get excited because you can now leave the nasty end of the house and go into the warmth of the lounge room and rack the HTPC. Give the big wind up to the significant other about how good things work and BAM, no TV. Does not look good to significant other.

Un-rack HPC and go back to Siberia, plug everything in and every thing works OK.

Go through this process several times before reaching breaking point and thinking it's the aerial cable. Replace supposedly faulty aerial cable with new one but this one travels a slightly different route. TV comes on. Then begin to move new cable into desired cable run whch travels behind AV receiver, CD, Squeezebox etc and the TV stops working. What tha..!!!???

Move cable in front of Squeezebox and TV signal works, move cable behind SB and TV stops. Leave cable behind and unplug SB and all works again. Repeat until satisfied.

The SB s a wireless music streamer. Where is the interference comming from????

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Alternative cable run has fixed the problem for now but I am a bit baffled.

BTW, Meda Portal is a fantastic piece of software. Media Centre Scmedia Centre!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Regards
Givendale

:D

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well just jumping to a conclusion (maybe wrongly), but from what you describe it sounds like it could be that the SB server is producing some RF from the back of that computer which is so strong as to get into the aerial cable. I am not a RF engineer nor do I know if any RF harmonics from wireless could interfer with the aerial cable. Are you using for the aerial cable -- RG-6 coax cable?

givendale

Portal Member
    June 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

The server for the SB is not really anywhere near the HTPC.

I'm thinking its either the wireless signal of the device or the power supply.

The Tuner card for the HTPC is next to the wireless nic so why would one interfere but the other not.

I am using a standard coaxial cable for the aerial, I even tried wrapping it in silver foil to see if that made any difference.

Regards

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I believe you are correct in your assumption, it could be either (or both) your power supply or wireless adapter which is causing the bad RF interence.

Since this is a different machine and there maybe different circumstances with this server that could be the culprit, there probably is no way of knowing. There maybe other metal in the general area which is bouncing the bad RF signal to cause the interference into your cable. I have known electrical engineers in college and I remember them saying that RF was a hard subject, I didn't go down that road.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    That is a weird one. Might be worth heading over the the SlimDevices forum and seeing if anyone there can give some advice (http://forums.slimdevices.com/).

There were some instances of the stock power supply interfering with AM radio at one point, it might have been the power bricks without the ferite core at the plug. I think these may have been US/Canada only, i don't know the regulations in Australia. The Eurpoean ones all have ferite cores.

givendale

Portal Member
    June 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Trippy it is. I will head over to te Slimdevices forum and ask.

Thanks for having a look, I'm not sure if it will be solved but I will post more if I get any results out of Slimdevices.

:D

Once again MP is a first class piece of software. Works a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom