DTV Channels are found in Autotune, but Preview and MyTV Fails (1 Viewer)

LYHTSPD

Portal Member
February 25, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: v1.0.0.0?
MediaPortal Version: v1.0.0.21149
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP Beta v0.5.361
Windows Version: XP Pro, SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 1.8 GHz
HDD:
Memory: 1.00 GB
Motherboard: Dell Dimension 4550
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 9.1
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! Value
Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
Sound Card Driver: 5.12
1. TV Card: ATI HDTV Wonder
1. TV Card Type: analog, ATSC Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: 3.0.83.2022
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow 2698
MPEG2 Audio Codec: AC3 1.51a
h.264 Video Codec: MPC 1.2.908
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: ATI Remote Wonder Plus
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI to HDMI

Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster. I have installed Media Portal v1 with the TV server. I have everything configured and my DTV channels came up fine in the TV Server Configs Autotune. However, I can not preview the channels (Preview Failed: NoVideoAudioDetected) and I can not see the channels in MyTV (Unable To Start Timeshifting | Failed to locate Audio / Video).

I seem to be having the same issues as this guy, but my setup is a little different. I suspect a codec issue, but I followed several of the guide in the forums and I am using the MPC codecs for h.264.

I know my specs on this box are at the bottom of the list, but this is mainly an experiment. If I can get this bird to fly with the Secretary of the Treasury (aka, my wife) then a much more suitable setup is in the near future.

I have attached my log files. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

LYHTSPD

Portal Member
February 25, 2009
Home Country
Nothing huh? Well to add more mystery to the plot.... I did an autoscan on my analog channels and it finds nothing. Not one single channel.

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Video card: DirectX 9 compatible video card with at least 128 MB of video memory such as:

* ATI Radeon series (9600 and above or X300 and above)

Thats a quote from the requirements page, but that does not mean MP will not work, just not as well as it could do.

May well be codec, what happens if you select MPV\MPA as codecs, ac3filter seems to be causing some issues, especially for users of MPC-HC codecs, recommend you look at hoborgs post regarding SAF

Analogue part, is this hardware or software encoding card, if software then forget it with your current setup, just not powerful enough.

LYHTSPD

Portal Member
    February 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Video card: DirectX 9 compatible video card with at least 128 MB of video memory such as:

* ATI Radeon series (9600 and above or X300 and above)

Thats a quote from the requirements page, but that does not mean MP will not work, just not as well as it could do.

May well be codec, what happens if you select MPV\MPA as codecs, ac3filter seems to be causing some issues, especially for users of MPC-HC codecs, recommend you look at hoborgs post regarding SAF

Analogue part, is this hardware or software encoding card, if software then forget it with your current setup, just not powerful enough.

Well, the ATI site lists the 9500 as a DX9 compatible card, and it has 128 MB of ram. I know I am at the bottom end of the list, but like I said this is just a trial setup. The card uses software for the analog encoding. I am not worried to much about analog anyway since it will be obsolete if/when they ever make the switch.

I will try running the MPV/MPA codecs and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help! :D

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Observations: P-4 @ 1.8 may be taxed for HD... my slowest system was an AMD 2500 and the ATi AIW 9600xt. I was using an OLD Catalyst 5.3 version. The FIRST thing I'd do is search for which Catalyst had been working for most on here... something like 8.6 or so as I recall but certainly NOT anything later than 8.12 or so -- again, as I recall and once you find the correct version, please correct this post. I think the "unable to start" is associated with the ATi WDM they load in their driver... I can't say I ever got the HDTV-Wonder's analog working under MP. Since I have a Hauppauge 1600 that does on-board analog encoding (so I can capture a/v or IF you have cable-tv) would be important. The logs indicate they can't find your timeshift buffer on d:\.... be sure the folder exists. It seems the ATSC channels are being tuned, so maybe it's just the Catalyst that's holding you up.

IF you simply want to see IF the HDTV-Wonder will work, go load up WatchHDTV It's a simple program a guy wrote that will do the job! I used it before MP but switched to MP because it has more functionality with its TV guide, scheduling, DVD playback... Oh, and I have the WebEPG turned off BECAUSE I have a $20/annual SchedulesDirect account that works GREAT! I also have heard that having the WebEPG on may interfere with recordings... again, do some research on these forums.

I can't say which driver I'm using on MY HDTV-Wonder but haven't been to their website in years, so it's probably old. As far as codecs, those that came with the ATi are cyberlink based and do an excellent job. I have PowerDVD7 and use theirs on my new AMD BE-2350 (dual core), on-board Nvidia 7050PV system... I never ever loaded the ATi codec onto my new system. Back some years I had issue with the MPV and MPA codecs... I also have shyed away from FFDshow and use the Cyberlink for mpeg-2 and .264 (not available on your ATi version). But you do not need any .264 codec to play ATSC, analog, or DVDs! Aside from the TV not running, can you get MP to display a DVD correctly? This will test the codecs, video capability, and audio paths.

I do not use the StreamedMP plugin. The only plugin I use is the SchedulesDirect one. I do use Monochrome 2.5 as my skin, but for the basics just stick with the default blue3 or blue3wide for now. Get the basic functionality working before you dabble further...

LYHTSPD

Portal Member
    February 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Andrew - Thanks for the input and the suggestions.

I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. It is tax time in the LYHTSPD household, so I have been plugging away at that for the last week (off and on). Just an update... I messed around with the MPV/MPA codecs and got the same results. I even tried installing a trial of Beyond TV (shhh, don't tell anyone) and that didn't even work. It would not even autoscan any of the digital channels! I then started to go through ALL the setting of the TV server and MP one by one, just to make sure I did not miss anything on the initial setup. I was having some problems with the TV server config program locking up on me when I first started messing with it. Low and behold, Andrew stumbled upon my problem. My timeshift folder path was incorrect! I am 120% sure I changed it during my first configuration, but somehow it got set back to the default value. I pointed it in the right direction and I have TV! I even switched my codecs back to AC3, ffdshow, etc and everything seems to work. I am not getting the guide for the channels, but I am not really worried about that now.

The video is jerky at times, but I really did expect that with a barebones setup like mine. I uncovered a P4 2.8 GHz cpu and motherboard combo that I forgot I had. I am going to try and build a system around that with parts I have around the house and see how that goes. With all the experimentation I have done in the last few weeks, I should really start over with a clean install of my OS and MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom