DTV Converter Box Compatability (1 Viewer)

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
July 24, 2006
I finally decided to get on the bandwagon and get a DTV converter box for my old TV. I would like to route the output of the DTV converter box into my PVR500-MCE dual-tuner card, but so far, all of the boxes I have seen come with their own remote. I have an MCE remote with IR Blasters that I could possibly blast the remote signals through, but I'm not sure if there's any compatability integrated into MP to support it. I'm guessing noone nowadays is looking to integrate old technology into their systems as I couldn't find any other thread relating to this. If I can't integrate and control a DTV converter box with MP I can deal with it, I was just hoping to put the 'ol tuner back to use. I have not purchased a conveter box yet until I find out if there is a model I can control with MP. Thanks to any help that can be given.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi crawdaddy.

If I got you right, you want to control your set-top-box (STB) with the IR-blaster and capture the analogue signal with a Hauppauge PVR.

If what I write above is correct: No problem :)

I control a STB myself (Motorola IPTV) - for this I use the IR Server Suite, found here

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2006
    Well, I'm still back in the analog age. With TV going digital, all of the analog people are having to purchase DTV converter boxes like this:
    Walmart.com: Magnavox Digital-to-Analog TV Converter Box: DVD & Blu-ray Players

I guess you could classify them as set-top boxes, but it's for picking up over-the-air digital broadcasts because I do not have cable or sattellite anymore. It looks like the box does the tuning, and you just tune your tv to channel 3 or something. Well, that's all fine and dandy until you want to integrate it with a media center. So, are there some models of this class of converter box that media portal already supports blasting IR codes to that I can just plug and go, or will I have to go through learning codes and such to make it work. Thanks in advance.

milhouse

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2006
    Raleigh, NC U.S.
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sure, you could do this. IR Server Suite will let you record the converter box's remote signal and use it to change channel on the converter box. (Assuming you can tune it without using a decimal or dash.) But really - IR blasting is spotty at best. Did this with my DISH satellite receiver for a while. Nothing more irritating that having the wrong channel recorded.

I would suggest that its time to retire the PVR-500 and replace with a digital tuner card. Plug the antenna right into the tuner card instead of trying to go through a converter box first.

It's easier and will have much better picture quality. Not to mention you could capture the HD source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom