Dual Audio Output - Stereo and 5.1 on Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

Over the years of owning a HTPC my setup seems to get more and more advanced!

Today i need some advice on how to get audio to transmit to both the stereo output through the headphone jack on my mobo as well as outputting either through the optical output or the HDMI output on my mobo.

The key purpose for this is because i will shortly be buying the rx-673 av receiver from yamaha and plan to use the 'zone2' functionality to output to a pair of stereo speakers. Before publishing this post, i have read a lot about Virtual Audio Cable. What i haven't got working successfully is outputting 5.1 via SPDIF, but i can get stereo audio on both SPDIF and 3.5 connections at the same time.

Has anyone solved this?

cheers - Scott

Last edited:

scott_mckenzie

Portal Pro
April 3, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
OK - I have done a lot of reading on this - what you can do is simply use a hardware based device to duplicate the output.

There is no software solution to duplicate the sound with 5.1 though.

In the end I decided to buy a more expensive amp to achieve the same thing. I got the Yamaha rx-v773 which I absolutely love, but if you don't want to spend that much, you should look into the network capabilities of the next model down as you should be able to access your music library via the network connection.

Cheers - Scott

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    There must also be a SW solution, as I have read that JRiver Media Center can provide multiple synchronized outputs, both analog and digital. Haven't tested it myself though. ISTR that it is a matter of configuring the graphs appropriately. Since there seems to be a lot of expertise in the MP community around graph construction (mostly around video) I would expect that it could be done. Sorry you didn't get a more useful response, but I'm glad you found a solution you like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom