Dual display enhancement (1 Viewer)

thematrixz

Portal Pro
June 20, 2007
Home Country
As more and more people having HTPC cases with built-in touchscreen display, I would like to request for an enhancement.

1. Support multiple displays with different resolutions. (example: 7" LCD set to 800x600, large TV set to 1920x1080)

2. Once a media is started playing, media info goes to monitor 1 (7" LCD) and player displays the media on monitor 2 (large TV). This way maybe we can bypass the DX acceleration issue with cloning?

Thanks

Tan

thematrixz

Portal Pro
June 20, 2007
Home Country
This text below was posted by SciDoctor on another thread, I'm copying it here as a pointer to a possible solution:

"What is need ,if possible, is for all the VMR9 windows/fullscreen produced by MP to have a start coordinate not of 0,0 (which puts it within the primary display ie TS LCD) but of X,0 (X = the horizontal res of the the start of the 2nd monitor which would be 1024 with a TS LCD of 1024 pixel Horixontal res) and for all VMR9 output to be fullscreen with respect to the 2nd monitors resolution.

The two displays would be set up as extended desktop with the TS LCD (MP GUI) to the left of the other display/s (VMR9 output)
As the OS keeps info of the actual monitors possitions, MP could just check this data for correct coordinates anyway."

thematrixz

Portal Pro
June 20, 2007
Home Country
The current feature will display both the MP main screen and the video screen. In a perfect world, the MP main screen should be displayed on both, and video on screen 2.

I know I know, I'm pushing it :)

Thanks for making it happens.

JoeDalton

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 27, 2004
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I don't know about ATI drivers, but with the Nvidia drivers it is possible to use screen 2 as the "overlay" screen.
    This will give you the effect that you desire...

Joe

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi Joe,

with earlier nVidia drivers this worked well. Clone displays, and MP was fullscreen in the TV and windowed in the PC screen. Later drivers don't pick up MP as an overlay, so don't maximise it any more, just the video screen, which makes it unusable in this way.

I was actually thinking about you when I saw this thread title. Is it possible to treat the LCD touch screen as a second screen just like a VFD, etc? Maybe a super res dot matrix LCD? You're the "LCD/VFD Guru" so hopefully you will know if it's possible...

Dirk

Portal Member
    March 12, 2005
    Netherlands, Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    As an old user of Joe's external display and now owner of a htpc with touchscreen I miss the information of my old Noritake VFD. I hoped using a kind of LCD/VFD preview screen instead, but that never came.
    My main problem with a cloned desktop is that you can't read anything of a 7" screen from 2-3 meters away.
    The touchscreen should display only basic information as big as it is readable from a couple of meters away.

This could be something like a virtual LCD from a modified external display plugin or it could be something like an secundary low-res version of the big mediaportal gui.

P.S. There are more threads like this on the forum search for touchscreen, webinterface, pda etc.

andreavb

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    What about the DebugForm Display Type in ExternalDisplay plugin? it shows a Virtual Display Graphical Window...if this window could be moved fullscreen to your second display (7" LCD) you would have all the additional informations of a standard graphical display...you can set the width and height of the debug window and character size too...there should be added some other settings such as colors, window state (fullscreen) and destination monitor...then editing ExternalDisplay.xml you can choose the layout of information to display

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom