Dual DVB-S/T Cards (1 Viewer)

GLennUK

Portal Member
December 10, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Dear All

I have just got to the stage where I want to install a new tuner card and have both Freesat and Freeveiw HD facilities which I would like to use, I have seen this card on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/DVBSky-T958...p/B00FVTT966/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Which has both DVB-S and DVB-T tuners on a single card, has anyone used one or can recommend good alternatives if not?

Thanks for any support,

Glenn

resa

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
the sunny side.
Home Country
Germany Germany
I cannot say much about the DVBSky card you asked for, but if money isn't the main reason to consider about here... i would recommend to go with Digital Devices Cine-Series cards due to it's rock-solid reliability and flexibility. Unfortunately you have to get an DVB-C(2)+T(2) or DVB-S2 card for PCI-E first and then add an Cine Flex upgrade (which is attached to the PCI-E card you installed first, so there is no need for further slots on your system) with missed sort of tuners.

That will raise initial efforts maybe up to 3 or 4 times, but it works like a charme and you have from the beginning 2 tuners of each sort for i.e. using 2 different satellite-positions with monoblock lnb or 2 times the same satellite with at least twin LNB and even can use unicable lnb/stacker+destacker setup (which transport the signals from monoblock lnb or twin/quattro lnb but on only one cable from lnb into your house) and let you recording 2 programs simultaneousely or record one and watch another and this for each dvb-s and dvb-c/t etc., to only name a few constellations you become able to do with 2x2 tuners. And on top you can add additional tuners or CI slots in the future, that will be attached to the first PCI-E card with no need of more PCI/PCI-E slots on your system also.

For an cheaper alternative i could recommend most Hauppauge cards also, but you may find to need two seperate cards of them (one dvb-t and one dvb-s, additional recommendation: taking one of them with IR-Control attached to the card saves you to buy/the use of any additional RC6 or similar IR-Dongles, since there is a good support by MePo for Hauppauge card-attached remotes).

best reagrds.

Last edited:

GLennUK

Portal Member
December 10, 2015
Home Country
Dear Resa

thanks for the info, I am going to give the DVBSky card a try and see how it works, if I don't like the way it performs or if it wont perform (as I am sure that as a cheap card it may not be the best although the reviews seem ok) I will look at the cards you suggested I had not seen the cineflex option before which is really useful to know about.

Also thanks for the recommendation, it is always useful to have a second opinion.

Thank you for the response much appreciated

Glenn.

resa

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
the sunny side.
Home Country
Germany Germany
You're welcome.

But let me suggest one last thing: Before purchasing this (or any other hardware [HW] for your HTPC-System to work with Mediaportal for now and also in the future) you may find it usefull to perform an forum search on several combinations and spellings of the manufacturer and/or the model, too see if there are some unsolved major issues with an HW or what special precautions or behaviours you may have to facing with an HW. Saying this also because the manufacturer and modell of your actually asked card was not absolutely new to me, i think i have already seen several related threads in here which all together may can draw an better picture about it for you.

And therefore you are new in here and this is a bit unusually for most of the forums, i like giving this hint to end with: If you moving your mouse to the down right corner of any post (except your own posts), you will see some coloured icons displayed, to mark that specific post with your mood about it (so you don't need to say i.e. "Thanks" every time again in written words and instead saying it by clicking on one of the icons, similar to the thank you-button known from other forums) ;) I have searched for this about 2 years or so until i finally got it :D

So closing with "welcome to the MePo-Crowd" from me also and good luck in building your system ;)

best regards.

Last edited:

GLennUK

Portal Member
December 10, 2015
Home Country
Hi there

the card is installed and its tuned into freesat and seem to work fine. I am running a WIn 7 Pro 64 bt system (i7-5820, 64Gb Ram) it isnatlled ok, I downloaded the drivers form the DVBSky website and then plugged the card in. Connected it to the power supply as per the instruciotns and it was discovered straight away.

I am having trouble getting the EPG populated but I am pretty sure this is a MP config issues, probably caused by me !!!

I have just recorded something form BBC HD, video appears fine will look at it on my TV later but appears to be ok.

I have not tried the DVB-T yet as I need a new lead and should have this sorted today/tomorrow.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
Hi GLennUK,

Thank you for the reply. How did you get on with the lead?
Just out of interest, where did you buy the card from? I was looking at purchasing it from Amazon?

On Amazon it doesn't mention it having support for Win10 64bit but on their website it says it is compatible with Win10, which puts me at ease a little more.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I am having trouble getting the EPG populated but I am pretty sure this is a MP config issues, probably caused by me !!!
    I have no experience of satellite, but my understanding is that there is a radio channel that carries the EPG for Freesat. So you need to look in the channel listings in "TV Server Config" and make sure that that radio channel is included in the channels that you have enabled (I hope that I have described that correctly!).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

GLennUK

Portal Member
    December 10, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi Forinor sorry for not responding sooner,

The lead connected no problems u had added additional connectors to my power supplies anyway so it was no issue. I got it from Amazon no problems with it at all.

CyberSimian

thanks for the info the EPG is populating now although still some blanks channels which seems weird, but it covers what I need.
    Thanks.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom