Tools and other software Dual Moitor Setup (again) (2 Viewers)

GvT

Portal Member
April 27, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello,

I have been following MePo for well over a year, setting up a HTPC with it. All is working fine except the dual monitor support.

I am using a
Asus board m45e-Pro
ATI dual monitor onboard graphic

Mediaportal 1.3.0

A projector with 1920x1080
a touchscreen 1024x600 TFT

I would like to know if there is a solution to have the MePo control on the touchscreen monitor and the fullscreen playback on the projector?

The PC is only used for MePo, so primary and secondary display could be changed.

What did I try:
- Clone display: well this would work, but it's a massive loss in resolution (the only way working right now)
- Start MePo in window mode and shift it => not working
- MPDisplay++ (it's loosing track, nor working reliable)
- Mini display (this seems to be for "Mini Displays only")
- Overlay settings (as describes in 2005/2006) => not up to date any more

What I would like ideally:
have all the controls and static picture (maybe moving pic before selecting full screen) on the small TFT display and and fullscreen display on the projector.

Why:
I don't want to turn on the projector for selection CDs and Music, and I would like to use the small TFT display to schedule recordings and control the whole system.

I am really surprised by how far MePo has evolved and I thank all the developers for this. Unfortunately for me it's still missing this one topic (control monitor anf playback monitor) to be perfect. I hope the solution already exists.

Many greetings to all of you,
hope to resolve this issue soon
Georg

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is a plugin for a secondary screen, MpDisplay2 i think it is called - check it out

GvT

Portal Member
    April 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Mbuzina,

thank you for your answer.
    Sadly I realize that there are not many having the same requirements as I do...

I already tried mpDisplay++ (alias mpDisplay2). It worked less than fairly in version 1.2.3 for me, but in 1.3. (Titan or Basic skin) it's not acceptable any more. I have a 1 to 4 sec delayed image on the 2nd screen, MPG is not supported at all.

If it were working time synchonous and with EPG this would be my choice and hit the nail right on the head,
    despite from time delay, EPG, ... I have other issues
    (It sorts entries different than MP (I have mpeg movies mixed with DVD-images in my movie selection...)

Thanks again,
    Greetings
    Georg

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    As you already said, the only working solution is a cloned display setup.
    This means you have to by a new touchscreen with full hd support or to accept the low resolution...

The only promising tool is the mpdisply++ but it never really worked for me..

Perhaps it could be possible to use the mpweb stuff, ( i dont know the exact name, but i think one skin s called oneportal)
    To have a browser on the touchscreen... (or android app (mpdroid) with bluestack, or last possible idea the widget for music (windows 7 only?) )

GvT

Portal Member
    April 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Cubii,
    thank you for your answer.
    Right now I will have to live with using a lower resolution on my projector...
    I hope that there will be a solution in the future... (but I have very little hopes...)

I was wondering if it's possible to alter a skin, so that it would cover more than one monitor...
    Maybe dual screen (with independent resolutions) will be supported by MP2?

Or maybe I will find a different Media Center that offers this feature. XBMC seems to be able to do this, but I would like to avoid starting all over again.

Ideally MP would consist of 3 layers,
    one holding the data, providing the streams, etc
    the second offering all the controls to control layer one and sending the streams to layer 3
    the third being only responsible for displaying the stream.

Greetings and a lot of thanks for the support
    GvT

motey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi GvT,

i had similar requirements. A working solution for me was a cheap androidtablet with mpdroid connected with mpextended. Took me some hours to configure but the setup is easier now with the newer versions.
    If you wanne use your touchscreen you could buy a cheap android-hdmi stick.
    With mpdroid you can
    -Manage EPG, Recordings
    -Check Movie, Music, Series library
    -Play mediastuff(Movies,Videos,Series,TV,Music) in mpdroid or play mediastuff on the windows client
    -Remote controll the windows client. (You have a virtual remote controll on the touchsreen)

You can not
    -Play simultaneously media on the Touchscreen and the Windowsclient (well..you can, at least its not synced)

For me it was the perfect solution
    The only thing i would checkout is how to connect a touchscreen with an android stick. I have never involved myself into this.

greetings
    Tim

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    you could install mpdroid on windows with bluestack (dont know exact name) an android emulator for windows...

GvT

Portal Member
    April 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,
    thank you for your replies! Definitively new ideas. As my vacation is over it will be slower trying things.. Have to catch up in my job again.

Using a tablet/android system is interesting, directing this remote to the screen, might be a fair solution. As this involves additional hardware I will postpone the test, but yes...

The only thing I wonder about: if I have the projector off, there will be no screen attached to my computer.
    -> Is it possible to run MP on a computer with no screen and only use a remote tablet? (this would be a true audio PC)
    -> Is there a way that MP will run "virtual" in Full HD until I switch the projector on?

As PC's arn't designed for use without monitors... has anyone experiences on this?

I am also thinking about running MP in a window and just shifting the window. Maybe there is a way to have this on a hotkey?
    I also can't remember having seen a way to toggle between fullscreen and window mode (but I have not searched for it yet)

Many thanks
    Greetings

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    Answers are :
    with no screen: MP will change its resolution, but should keep working.
    so no, mp will not stay in FUll hd (but there is work in progress about this topic, half fullscreen issue or something like that)
    alt enter --> windows mode/Fullscreen
    windows+shift+arrow (left or right) --> send application to another monitor (win 7)

GvT

Portal Member
    April 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Cubii,

than you very very much for your answer. This works for me!
    It is not the solution I consider perfect, but close.

My apologies for not having looked the hotkeys up prior to posting my previous answer, you were quicker.

If I switch the projector on, I can shift MP to it and have it full screen, I can shift it back to the touchscreen as well.
    In the test I just did (on my PC with 2 equal monitors) it worked fine. MP hang once, sometimes it required mouse action, but it worked.
    Not as stable as I would like it, but better than anything I tried before.

When I find the time I will try to bring it into a small script, so it's just a button. I will also try it with different resolutions, results will be reported here.
    (but this might take more than a few days.. job is busy, trips are coming up...)

Thank you all very much for the replies. I guess I also needed this thread to find and develop the ideas/solutions I actually need.

GreetingsGeorg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom