Duplicate movie titles and backdrops.. or lack of (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Just wondering if a solution to this has been come up with yet or is actively in the process of being looked at. I know its been known about for some time but is it possible to even manually go in and edit the database / backdrop filenames to get around it or?

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what your problem is. Could please explain it with some more details?

Do you have the problem that movies with the same name use the same backdrops?

I would use the renamer in MovingPictures to rename your movies like "Movie (2010)" and "Movie (2000)" and so on.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes movies with the same title (eg remakes etc) share the same backdrop. Its fixed now then? I renamed my collection some time ago but still that represents about 90% of the movies. I hadn't noticed it made any difference. Maybe I just needed to rename and then resend to importer.

Must of got fixed and I never noticed then, I'll have a play. Thanks.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Yes movies with the same title (eg remakes etc) share the same backdrop. Its fixed now then? I renamed my collection some time ago but still that represents about 90% of the movies. I hadn't noticed it made any difference. Maybe I just needed to rename and then resend to importer.

Must of got fixed and I never noticed then, I'll have a play. Thanks.

MovingPictures detects a new media file, it looks at file, gets filename, looks for NFO/etc, and with noise filter ends up with as much info as possible; title (required), year (optional), imdb-id (optional), etc.

It then loads up the primary scraper-script and gives it all this information. The scraper-script then uses its search-node to find a match. This can be a single match, or multiple and gives these results back to MovingPictures. The plugin then decides if it should auto-approve one of the results, or provide the user with all the results and let the user manually pick the right one.

Once user has selected the right one and approved it, or if auto-approval took place, then MovingPictures will reload the scraper-script and tell it to use the details-node to actually get the info. Most scraper scripts then proceed to get this info, such as cast members, summary, etc. It gives all this info back to plugin.

MovingPictures then puts all this info into the database and finally loads up the scraper-script once more to use the cover-node and backdrop-node. If a scraper-script lacks a certain node (search+details are required), such as cover or backdrop, then another scraper-script is used. For example themoviedb scraper-script is used by almost all of them to obtain the backdrops.

It is at the cover/backdrop nodes however that the same info obtained in search/details node is re-used. So a movie called "Example" made in 2010 ends up using the same 'title' as a movie called "Example" made in 1999. The current implementation of MovingPictures is that only the 'title' is used to match it up with artwork.

A scraper-script such as IMDb+ is able to alter the title within the 'details' node, as this is how it functions to rename titles so that they are grouped together, for film series such as James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. But I've also added a ton of duplicated movie titles in such a way that all the titles get renamed to create a unique variant, such as for example "3:10 to Yuma (Original)" for the 1957 version. This then results in each movie (if you have them both in your collection) getting imported with a different 'title', which results in unique covers/backdrops for each of them.

One way to do this same method with any other scraper-script, would be to disable all cover/backdrop scraper-scripts. Import all your movies. Then rename any duplicated title conflicts, and finally re-enable the cover/backdrop scraper scripts so that they can get all the artwork in the right name. For an existing collection this means you disable all the cover/backdrop scraper-scripts, sent the duplicated movies back to the importer, rename them (use the File Details info method otherwise if you have multiple versions of the same movie, such as Unrated/Director's Cut/etc), and re-enable the artwork scrapers.

To get the issue fixed properly, don't forget to show your support by 'starring' the following issue: http://code.google.com/p/moving-pictures/issues/detail?id=268

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom