[Pending] DVB EPG Grab delay in seconds (1 Viewer)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
right now DVB EPG grab time can be set only in minutes, and i found no reason why we have to wait at least one minute for EPG grabbing - other programs don't have such long delay before grabbing starts. So first part of patch changes delay units for this from minutes to seconds.
Another part of patch sets minimum value for delay to 1 instead of 0 - i tried to set it to 0 somewhen and wasn't able to watch TV with exception loggged.

Attachments

• DVBEPGGrabStartInSeconds.patch
    2.6 KB
Last edited by a moderator:

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    So what happens with upgrades?
    If pre-upgrade configured value was 5 min will it still be treated as 5 min after upgrade or will it be interpreted as 5 seconds?
    By looking at the code it seems to me it will be the latter.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    yes, there is nothing about upgrade in the patch, so default 5 minutes switch to 5 seconds. Do you believe there is any reason to wait soo long?
    Not sure what was the idea to make this delay to be set in minutes - there is enough threads with "why DVBViewer/MyTheater/DVBPortal get DVB EPG almost instantly and in MP we have to wait some minutes?"

Last edited:

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Not sure why it was set in minutes. But what I'm after is that if a user has configured 5 minutes (or even 1 minute) he has done it for a reason (perhaps it uses too many resources). On upgrade this will be changed to 5 seconds (or 1 second) behind his back which is not what the user configured. We have to respect the user configured values and any upgrade should not change them arbitrarily unless there is a very good reason for doing so.

In the above case what would happen if user configure 1minute and we essentially change that to 1 second? Is 1 second enough to grab EPG for say 2000 channels on DVBS? As far as I can tell from TsWriter code, EPG grabber sends data back to TVServer after there has been no epg data packets fro 1 minute, so setting a timeout < 1minute will essentially always abort the grab.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    i tested this patch last year, and it worked, i.e. grabbed EPG in 2-3 seconds.
    about upgrade - should i build logic in installer to multiply existing values to 60?

snowball

Portal Pro
    December 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Vasilich, Arion_p,

although this thread is older and it doesnt seem that it gets implemented into MP as it is proposed.

i had the same issue, and i solved it differently i didnt switched to seconds, but allowed floating values so 1 minute will be still one minute but setting to 0,5 will be half a minute. the codechange is also not very intrusive.
    @arion_p
    do you think that is an acceptable change?
    then i will start a new thread and provide the patch there

Cheers Snow

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom