DVB EPG not working (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I had a few minutes before I could go to bed so here is a debug TsWriter. To use it:
    1. Stop TV Server.
    2. Take a backup of the existing TsWriter in your TV Server install folder.
    3. Download and extract the attached one into your TV Server install folder.
    4. Start TV Server.
    5. Perform scans of the "bad" transponders to replicate the unknown name problem.
    6. Provide me with the tv.log and TsWriter log.

This TsWriter can only be used with MP 1.2.x (best not less than MP 1.2.0b).

mm

Attachments

• TsWriter.zip
      115.6 KB

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    @Wbunaarf: you've provided many logs internally so I *really* appreciate your persistence. When I look at this problem I really need the TsWriter log as well as the tv.log so your latest log is not all that helpful either. One thing I did notice:

Sorry. The tswriteŕ log is now attached as well.

So what can we do?
    1. Try scanning with another card and see if the channels are ever found as unknown. Can one of you do this?

I'm afraid I don't have any other cards so for me that's a no.

2. Check the stream contents. I can do this if somebody provides me with a stream dump. Alternatively I can provide a debug TsWriter that logs the PIDs which are being received so that we can see if the FloppyDTV is behaving correctly.

This I can do, however. A dump is uploaded to the public ftp (/Ts/wbunaarf_11785mhz_floppydtv.ts).

Also, thank you for your thorough explanation!

I had a few minutes before I could go to bed so here is a debug TsWriter. To use it:

[...

6. Provide me with the tv.log and TsWriter log.

Logs are attached.

The result was somewhat different tonight. At first I did a bunch of scans with only frequency (11785MHz) and SR (30000) set. On none of these scans were the channels identified. Then I added FEC (3/4) and modulation (8 PSK), and suddenly all channels were identified - except for on one scan where they weren't even found as unknown...

//W

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Wbunaarf

:D
    I'll take a look at the logs and dump this evening (I hope).

One comment though:

The result was somewhat different tonight. At first I did a bunch of scans with only frequency (11785MHz) and SR (30000) set. On none of these scans were the channels identified. Then I added FEC (3/4) and modulation (8 PSK), and suddenly all channels were identified - except for on one scan where they weren't even found as unknown...
    Adding the modulation is *critical* for the FloppyDTV. If you don't specify the modulation then the FloppyDTV doesn't turn on the PID filter (which is bad!) *and* the demodulator may not have enough information to demodulate the channel properly - you should *always* specify the modulation and FEC rate for DVB-S2. I would not be at all surprised if the FloppyDTV driver could not handle tuning properly if you don't do that...

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

In fact I can confirm immediately from the debug TsWriter log that the information for the channels is coming from the PMT - the SDT is not received when you don't specify the tuning parameters properly. This is because the bit-rate of the transponder is too high and the FloppyDTV can't deliver the full transponder stream over Firewire to MP (or other software). You *must* specify the modulation and FEC rate (and you should also set the pilot and roll-off values) when tuning or scanning these transponders so that the hardware PID filter is engaged and the amount of data that has to be transmitted over the firewire bus is reduced, otherwise you will continue to have "unknown..." channel problems.

mm

[Edit: and in the case where you set the modulation and FEC correctly and still go unknown channels... SDT was simply not received at all. I can't explain that. I would put it down to either a FloppyDTV driver issue (maybe with the PID filter), maybe in combination with a provider issue - it is possible that they only transmit the SDT once every 30 seconds or something...]

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi again

In fact I can confirm immediately from the debug TsWriter log that the information for the channels is coming from the PMT - the SDT is not received when you don't specify the tuning parameters properly. This is because the bit-rate of the transponder is too high and the FloppyDTV can't deliver the full transponder stream over Firewire to MP (or other software). You *must* specify the modulation and FEC rate (and you should also set the pilot and roll-off values) when tuning or scanning these transponders so that the hardware PID filter is engaged and the amount of data that has to be transmitted over the firewire bus is reduced, otherwise you will continue to have "unknown..." channel problems.

mm

[Edit: and in the case where you set the modulation and FEC correctly and still go unknown channels... SDT was simply not received at all. I can't explain that. I would put it down to either a FloppyDTV driver issue (maybe with the PID filter), maybe in combination with a provider issue - it is possible that they only transmit the SDT once every 30 seconds or something...]

I can help out with this at the weekend.

I'll take a look at the stream and check it out.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a quick update: I'm running too close to my data cap limit this month so I'm going to have to wait until the 20th before I can double check the TS dump. I haven't forgotten about the issue though.

mm

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    gidday.. not sure I should piggyback this thread or start another so sorry if this is the wrong option, but I'm having some EPG over DVB issues.
    I recently built a new MP server with a hauppauge hvr220, a winfast dtv 2000 ds and a cheapie USB tuner. I've tried with all set to catch EPG, and also with just the USB one set to grab on its own and have mixed but unsatisfactory results.
    I keep getting 'some' EPG, but not a week worth.. I'll get like the next hour or so, but only one or two programs in advance (so can't see anything 3 or more hours ahead.

I guess my most significant question is, what logs should I grab/how do I troubleshoot EPG over DVB issues specifically? channel tuning is fine and I'm happy with the way MP is performing but not sure how to separate troubleshooting down to the EPG...

attached is what I see.. and the dots kinda fill up along time as I approach it, but never beyond the next 3 hours .. happy to post logs if needed..

Attachments

• 20120710a-med-point.jpg
      20120710a-med-point.jpg
      168.5 KB
    • 20120710b-med-point.jpg
      20120710b-med-point.jpg
      160 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi rocklander

Freeview broadcasts two types of EPG:
    - EIT (EPG worldwide standard - supported by MP)
    - MHEG 5 (think of this as a way for broadcasters to deliver receiver independent applications, and the guide application just happens to have the EPG data - not supported by MP)

On the satellite platform, they broadcast a full 8 day guide in both formats.
    On the terrestrial platform, they only broadcast the full 8 day guide data as part of the MHEG 5 application. There is only now/next EIT info.

You are only receiving the now/next info since MP is looking at the EIT data and can't understand the MHEG 5 data.

Short solution: get a satellite tuner in the box to get access to the 8 day EIT data, or use the EPG Collector with the XMLTV plugin.

mm

Last edited:

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks.. okay, so as logical as that is, then why did I have days worth in my other MP client.. it has only DVB-T..

hmm.. maybe I set up xmltv or webepg.. lemme look that over..

rocklander

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2010
    rotovegas
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    heh... yep.. ignore me.. MP setups are too far and few between (good indictment of MP!!) for me and I forgot that I needed to set up xmltv and epg grabber.. as you where :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom