MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0 final
MediaPortal Skin: ReVision
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate x86
Video Card: Gainward SilentFX 8600GT
Video Card Driver: 163.75_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_whql
Sound Card: Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1
1. TV Card: FireDTV
1. TV Card Type: Firewire
1. TV Card Driver: Latest non-beta BDA driver.
MPEG2 Video Codec: CyberLink v7.3 3304
Satelite/CableTV Provider: ComHem Sweden
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI 1080p

I'm wondering what's up with the DVB EPG grabbing. If I'm lucky I get 2 hours worth of information, but many times no information at all for a lot of channels. I had the same problem when I tried out TV3.
Doesn't matter if I leave MP on for several hours. I've tried selecting only relevant languages for grabbing, as well as selecting all.

I've attached my MP log.

Thanks.

zion22

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I got almost the same. It's grabbing the EPG for the current channel for about a week, and that's fine. But it doesn't grab the other channels unless I leave it on the specific channel.

fillerguy

Portal Pro
September 12, 2007
Milton, ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
same here. only way i could get guide info was to enable grab epg while timeshifting. grab epg while idle would, at best, get 2 hours of info. in TVE3 if I refreshed the EPG the log would show that it was grabbing the EPG info, but wouldnt update the database.

phunqe

Portal Pro
April 28, 2007
So basically the DVB EPG is broken in both TV versions.

I hope we can expect a greater prioritisation in release quality over fast releases with MP II. TV3 for example is no way near release in my opinion. Well unless you want to quit your job to have time to sit infront of the HTPC days on end trying to get everything working properly and eventually growing grey hair.

<rant> Sorry for the bitterness, but i've been close to give up on several occasions. Yesterday I actually had decided to use GBPVR until a decent version of MP II was out, but then I discovered that GBPVR's TV module doesn't support CAM/CI's. I seriously dind't know if I was to cry or to laugh. Dont' get me started on other solutions either, basically I'm here as always bending over and taking it up the tailpipe several hours every weekend when it's time to try to get something to work with a new SVN, new plugin or whatever. </rant :p>

EDIT: Oh and by the way, instead of being such a whineass I decided to help out at some point (with whatever I could help with, maybe doing some plugins) after the new year. I started a new job recently and went to using VS and C#/.NET on a regular basis, so I'm feeling more confident with it now. However, it'll be after I get a new computer at home.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could you please post some logs of TsWriter during the epg grabbing?
    That would help much and what sats are you aiming which channels are configured to grab epg for?

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    I'm using the built-in version of the tv module at the moment, not TV3. I'll probably keep it this way for the time being and keep an eye on TV3 until it matures a bit more. I tried it out 1-2 weeks ago, but there were a lot of issues.

Using WebEPG at the moment and it'll keep me satisfied for the time being.

By the way, forgot to say that I'm using DVB-C, not DVB-S (using a FireDTV).

BarrieSmith

Portal Member
    October 9, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yesterday I changed my project to use TV3 engine instead of the built-in TV support in MediPortal. My intention had been to put together a standalone TV Server and a wi-fi network to make TV available to all the PCs in the house.

But I cannot get EPG in TV3 to work with wih my Hauppage Nova-T 500 card. I'll have to switch back to the built-in TV engine in MP and be happy with one PC supporting TV.:(

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    But I cannot get EPG in TV3 to work with wih my Hauppage Nova-T 500 card

Hi Barrie

Must admit have had only one problem with DVB EPG, and that was the timeout setting was to short, set mine to 15 minutes and everything fine, this was using TVE3 16361 25th October.

That was without the timeshifting EPG option enabled.

Still waiting for Crucial to send new memory, no own pc, no updating.

Klathman

Portal Member
    July 19, 2007
    I'm definitely having problems with EPG over DVB-S on TVE3 rev 16582.

If I set it to grab epg during timeshift I can't view any DVB-S channels. If I set it to only grab epg when idle I can view fine but intermittently it kicks me off, I guess when the epg update time is reached.

If I disable the EPG updates all seems fine.

I've attached logs showing usage with and without epg updates been enabled just in case I have anything else in the system which acts as a red herring.

This feature used to work for me but the builds over the last week or so seem to have all had the same issue.

phunqe

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2007
    It seems there's a lot of effort on various xmltv grabbers and whatnot. It would seem better to focus on basic standard features first and getting them to work.

1. Outline common set of features present in common PVR TV set top boxes.
    2. Implement such features.
    3. Test such features.
    4. Release stable version.
    5. Implement extra features beyound the scope of convential set top boxes.
    6. Profit.

I don't know how MPII is being done, but I sure hope there will be more focus on basic features and stability instead of stressing out a load of features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom