DVB-S in North America FTA Channels (1 Viewer)

hey__me

Portal Pro
March 12, 2009
Anybody doing English FTA in North America? Are you using a motor or just fixed on a couple satellites? Anything really up there for free? I know a lot of people using FTA for international, but I'm really just interested in picking up a couple more channels to complement what I have with netflix and OTA ATSC.

any recommened hardware? seems like lots of cheap cards on e-bay.

Das Hammer

Portal Pro
June 14, 2007
Das Hoosier State
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yes, I do. I'm usually jumping between MythTV and MediaPortal, but I have been in one way or another for a few years.

I am using a motor, actually a Vbox which is driving the actuator on the 10 footer. If you have C band capabilities the world really opens up. There is quite a bit of good stuff on Ku though. I like RTN (you can get a guide with schedules direct) and as far as I know Biography and History are still in the clear on Ku. Of course, there is PBS HD.

For my HTPC box...whatever it is running at the time....I really only use a DVB-S card rather than a DVB-S2. Sadly, there just aren't enough DVB-S2 channels operating 24/7 to make it worthwhile yet. Everything I mentioned above can be had via DVB-S. For the card I am using a Hauppauge Nova-S plus. Works with the diseqc positioner I'm using and always has performed well. Any card using BDA drivers should work, but whether or not diseqc motor support was there depended on if it was in the driver provided by the manufacturer. If I am remembering things properly.

We can keep going in this thread or PM me for all the gory details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom