DVB Subtitles shown too early or hangs to long (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1.0
    MediaPortal Skin: DefaultWide
    Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon II x2 240e 2.8 GHz 45w TDP
    HDD: OCZ Agility SSD 30 GB
    Memory: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz Dual-Channel
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.0)
    Video Card: Onboard AMD Radeon HD 3200
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 11.x
    Sound Card: Onboard ALC889A
    Sound Card AC3: optical out
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT PCI
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Codec
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Codec
    h.264 Video Codec: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Codec
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: picuPSU 120W
    Remote: Logitech 885
    TV: LG 50PK350N
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi there

For a long time I have had the feeling that DVB-T subtitles timing in our broadcasts here in Denmark were off, when using MediaPortal. When I compare a broadcast shown on our "normal" Sony DVB-T TV, the subtitle timing is way better than in MediaPortal.

There are actually two problems:

1. Some of our H.264 broadcasts (channel: DR HD) show subtitles too early and too short
    2. On one of our MPEG2 broadcasts (channel TV2), the subtitles "hangs" until a new set is shown. <-- This is a minor problem.

I have uploaded two samples from DR HD to the MediaPortal FTP-server, one where the timing is fine (Imposter 60 MB.ts) and one where it is to early (Echelon Conspiracy 60 MB.ts).

The files are here:
    http://cm3.dk/dvbsubs/

The recording plays fine in VLC Media Player, when I enable subtitles (DVB Subtitles - [Dansk]) they arrive at perfect timing and stays as long as they should.

Please ignore the "bad data" or "bad signal" thing in the beginning, my recording hard-drive had to spin up from sleep, so MediaPortal got stuck for a few seconds.

I have also attached debug-logs from playing both samples in MediaPortal. First I played "Imposter" and then "Echelon Conspiracy".

I tested out building my own DVBSub filter from the repository. If I set m_currentTimeCompensation = 0; (in DVBSub.cpp ~ line 321) the recordings with early subtitles works fine. The side-effect is that the good ones suddenly have to late subtitles.

My theory is that the delay is either wrong from TSReader (audioPin.cpp?) or that there is a timing issue in the subtitle filter itself.

Even if you don't use TV with your MediaPortal installation, you can test the recordings by putting them in your "Videos" folder. TS-files will play with DVB-Subtitles etc. if you enable them in MediaPortal Configuration.

Any help is appreciated!

I would also like to hear from Danish DVB-T users that regularly uses subtitles and their experience with them.

:D

EDIT: I added one more recording from 2 days ago with same symptoms (early subs). I put the files on my own server because the TS-Dump server seems to be having trouble with my files (they cannot be downloaded again).

mm1352000

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Country flag
    I can reproduce on XP. Note I'm using a *slightly* modified TsReader - shouldn't affect this. What other information would be relevant?

mm

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I see identical subtitle behavior in VLC and MP for these clips. :sorry:

Does this mean that subtitles are on time in both clips in MediaPortal? Could you post your codec-setup, especially regarding audio renderer?

:D

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Country flag
    I tested on my dev PC, haven't tested on htpc yet.
    Codecs on dev PC are MS for mpeg2/h264. ffdshow for mpeg/AC3 audio. Monogram for AAC. Audio renderer is default direct sound.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Country flag
    The subs seems slightly early on both players. When we (tourettes) developed the dvb subtitles, I used a desktop video recorder to check how many frames late the subtitles where.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Subs on "Echelon Conspiracy" are like 2 seconds to early for me in MediaPortal. Are they OK for you? Weird, I must admit that :/

mm1352000

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Country flag
    FYI: I'm using Cyberlink PDVD 10 video codecs, Monogram for AAC, AC3Filter 1.63b for MPEG/AC3 audio, and the default DirectSound renderer.

asboe

Portal Member
    March 5, 2008
    Subs on "Echelon Conspiracy" are like 2 seconds to early for me in MediaPortal. Are they OK for you? Weird, I must admit that :/

Have same recording, and similar problem with subtitles.

I looked back and found that this issue happens between 10/9 and 12/9. I have ok recording from Danish dvb-t broadcast from -the 10. of September and from the 12. September subtitles are shown 1-2 seconds too early. Recordings before and after thise days show same pattern.

Viewing the ts-files, with the issue, in VLC-Player also show subtitles 1-2 second too early.

I upgraded to MP 1.2.0 from MP 1.1.3 on the 20. September. So the issue was already present in MP 1.1.3.

Codecs and Windows updates has no history around 10-12/9.

Only thing that has changed around the 11/9 must be found in the broadcast stream.

Users who are viewing this thread